Interesting airfields...

Users Local time
Today 7:56 AM
Hey there.

I'm now looking for interesting places to visit online. Some nice places like Lukla (VNLK) and other not always big airports, but with interesting or hard approach/departure (remember Kai Tak VHHX?).

I would ask You to post here some info about such places, if You know some of them. It does not matter right now, if there is any scenery for any sim, just nice place to go.
Some, few or lots, or even all may be used to coplete some interesting and extreme World Tour for our pilots, but remember, that unpaved and small airports will limit available airplanes to use, for example landing in Lukla limits our fleet to Dash-7 and L-100, if L-100 will land there at all.

Some examples are:
Kai Tak with hard approach, currently not longer operational.
Lukla with no go-around procedure.
St. Barts with famous over hill approach ending in water if not stopped in time.
Saba island with probably shortest paved runway of only 305m, witch is available to land only for small prop planes and heli.
Some runways in himalayan area surrounded by giant mountains and placed near rivers in deep valleys (anyone tried landing there with crosswind, with rain and in middle of night?).
Some runways in greenland (same as above).
Or visit to runway placed closest to south pole, long ice-covered one...

Other hnd we have some interesting places like airport in Batman, or some nice ICAO codes like KSMS, KROW, HEAL...

Post here Your proposals for places to visit. I will consider all of them into World trip. My personal bets are currently in nouber of 35 airports, but that does not cover whole world and is limited in two ways - some of runways are STOP and are very short, but quite much distances are over big water or long distance, so we miss small airplane, capable to land on short runway and go for long distance. Probably whole event will be held on Dash7 or L100, ATR72 need too long runway.
Whole event will be prepared with pointing sceneries for at least fs9/fsx (because of conversion option to xpl. Whole trips will be held with minimal safe cruise level (almost line in VFR) with VOR/NDB navigation on board with legs no longer than 1000-1500nm (probably no longer than 2-3h of flight, but may end with up to 5-6h of flight maximum), probably 2-3 flights in week, but may finish in other numbers. Comments are welcomed.

HY!

Check this Link out:

http://www.drzewiecki-design.net/ddatWF2009.htm

This Guy made a good tour around the world with a Lot of challenging legs and approaches. 8)

HAVE FUN

Marcus

Yes, i know, and I was flying with him quite much of his World Flight events. Even more - i have agreement with him about using existing data with links to his World Flight events archives, so if we would want to replicate - there is green light for that...
And i must say that some of those approaches are extreme even in nice weather, but not all runways are suitable for 737, as we landed there with some 737 and even bigger planes :)

KSAN - San Diego is a very nice airport in the US. Its the biggest airport with only one runway in US and the second of the world after London-Gatwick. There is a very nice approach to runway 27, because theres a parking garage in short final, so an ILS is not practicable there. You need to descend fast after passing the parking garage in order to touchdown at the beginning of the runway. Besides, the runway isn't very long. I tried it with a 757 and it was very nice to fly there! Theres a nice payware scenery for it, but I don't know about the freeware scene.

Few infos:

1. Need more stuff on southern hemisphre: south america, africa...
2. Probably will drop ideas of using smallest airports (as Saba) and will leave only stuff where L-100, ATR-72 and Dash 7 can land/start.
3. Routes will be planned to around 1000-1300nm max, so no longer than 3-4h of flight.
4. If possible routes will be planned only with direct to VOR/NDB and under FL180, something more like VFR

Back
Top Bottom