Greetings all!

Users Local time
Today 5:09 PM
Greetings All,

Only recently have I again a computer that will run a flight sim with a level of quality and am very glad to have found a VA such as this one! How awesome it is to provide real assistance to a real charity by playing a game!!!

I am a complete rookie when it comes to online flying and did manage to get squawkbox up, logged into VATSIM USA-E, booked a flight here at Air Child (ACH9043 Bogota to Panama City cargo flight for a L100, and loaded into the game. Texted to a controller (barely managed to understand each other)(spanish vs english) but he did manage to get me off the ground. I completed the flight with no other contact with ATC.

My questions are many, but for now...

I did not see my flight on the live watch feature of the website... i would really like to..:)

Not sure which server to log into in Squawkbox.

I do have FSpassengers and am considering using it for PIREPs, but it disturbs some of my acft with fuel issues (probably an acft config problem). Perhaps XAcars would be better? I also installed TS2 and logged into the empty rooms..(it was rather late)

Anyway, I dled and am printing the manuals and look forward to learning how to do all this and to become active in this most awesome idea.:)

Kindest Regards,

SaintC

Hello Lukas

Very glad to count you in the team.
I feel the same things when flying for Air-Child.
Hope meet you in the sky some day.

WELCOME LUKAS

Cheers
Pierre

Welcome to Air-Child, Lukas! :hi:

Some quick answers to your questions:
Lukas Saintclair said:
I did not see my flight on the live watch feature of the website... i would really like to..:)
If you use FsPax you'll have to add another tool with live acars ability, like FsAcars or XAcars. Both can run simultaneously. Use FsPax for reporting and the other just for the map.
Not sure which server to log into in Squawkbox.
Best chose one that's close to you.
I do have FSpassengers and am considering using it for PIREPs, but it disturbs some of my acft with fuel issues (probably an acft config problem). Perhaps XAcars would be better?
In the FsP payload editor it's possible to exclude fuel loads. Don't remember exactly how, but you can ask over at the . Our buddy Joe (ACH0255) will be glad to help :)
I also installed TS2 and logged into the empty rooms..(it was rather late)
We have to admit that even in busy times, there's not much traffic on TS. Maybe a vicious circle: "no one there - no need to login" - so nobody ever comes online :|

Hope that helped a little. Don't hesitate to come back with more questions.
:fly:

Thanks for the welcome and oh yes... all that information helped a great deal. I just logged my first flight and am in the return flight as I type. Xacars is working nicely, had to add an additional program to make it live.

Also, I dled an ok but functional Dash 7-100 to start with and will focus on that acft until promoted..:)

Thanks again!

SaintC

Hello Lukas,

first of all: WELCOME TO AIR-CHILD

If you need help regarding online flying, let me know via the forum or by mail:
norbert(at)air-child.com

Best Regards
Norbert

Many thanks Norbert! I am working it all out for flight reporting for the VA. Have not done much with vatsim as of yet. Still getting comfortable with this new acft. Took me a while to learn to land it without blowing a tire, but am getting the hang of it..:)

Here are some screenies with a shiny new paint job..:)

2011-9-11_21-56-6-916sm.jpg

2011-9-11_20-45-7-319sm.jpg

2011-9-11_19-27-41-933sm.jpg

Not sure if it is in my place to suggest, but, when I achieve Junior Captain, I would really like to fly a l100 named for a great hero of mine... Antoine de Saint-Exupéry... author of 'Le Petit Prince', who, not only wrote that awesome book, but was quite an aviator in the FAF himself during WWII. I did see an acft named for his book in the hanger, but do we have one named for him? If not, can we perhaps name one for him?

Another possibility would be Richard Bach, author of 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull', is another whose works have lived in my back pocket for decades and was also quite an aviator.

Bringing as many fellow gamers and aviation enthusiasts, as well as normal people to this VA as I can..:)

Regards,

SaintC

Lukas Saintclair said:
Many thanks Norbert! I am working it all out for flight reporting for the VA. Have not done much with vatsim as of yet. Still getting comfortable with this new acft. Took me a while to learn to land it without blowing a tire, but am getting the hang of it..:)

OK! If you need or want some help, just give me a short note.
Lukas Saintclair said:
Not sure if it is in my place to suggest...

Our philosophie: Air-Child is made by it's members and not by it's admins. So every suggestion is welcome.
Lukas Saintclair said:
I would really like to fly a l100 named for a great hero of mine... Antoine de Saint-Exupéry... author of 'Le Petit Prince', who, not only wrote that awesome book, but was quite an aviator in the FAF himself during WWII. I did see an acft named for his book in the hanger, but do we have one named for him? If not, can we perhaps name one for him?

All our aircrafts are named by UNICEF ambasadors, heros of child books or the authors. So it's possible to named an aircraft Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. Any prefered aircraft type?
Lukas Saintclair said:
Another possibility would be Richard Bach, author of 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull', is another whose works have lived in my back pocket for decades and was also quite an aviator.

It's a long, long time gone, since I have read 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull'. Can't remember, is it a book for children or for adults?

Well, I have opinions on the proper shelf on which to place both those books..:) They are frequently found in the childrens book section, however... I continued to read and be deeply inspired by both those books even until this day..:) Both "Le Petit Prince" and "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" can be found in the childrens book sections of stores, although JLS can sometimes be found in the inspirational section.

Aye, I would love to pilot a L100/C-130 named after Saint-X..:) Although I might get a bit nervous flying over the Sahara..:) I will have to buy the awesome captain sims herc when I get enough hours to qualify Junior Captain..:)
Christian Neumann said:
In deutsch ist es glaub ich "Die Möwe Jonathan" --> Kinderbuch
LG

Ganz genau! Exactly! Although the wisdom in the book is ageless, it is usually found in the childrens section. I did a book report on it in the 5th grade, and a based a philosophical paper on it in uni..hehe

I am popping into TS when I fly, just in case any feel like chatting..:) Its a habit I have developed over years of gaming and a strong resistance to reading chat bars..hehe

Saint-C

Back
Top Bottom