FSX vs. Prepare 3D

Zeljko Budovic said:
Does anyone know where all these posts have gone? They seem to have disappeared without a trace. And not a word of Avsim staff about the when, where and why .... :think:

Try this to improve your fsx performance:

Carefully follow all it tells to do. Step by step. It changed my old good dual core E8400 into a fsx-capable machine. 30 fps in the air with REX, GEX, FLGLOBAL and UTE. 25-30 fps at default airports, 15-25 at good quality add on airports, 10-20 at aerosoft megas. All using PMDG NGX.
I now it is hard to believe. I did not at first. Now I got a new dimension of flight experience.
(8 GB RAM, GTX460).

Peter Schindler said:
Does anyone know where all these posts have gone? They seem to have disappeared without a trace. And not a word of Avsim staff about the when, where and why .... :think:

Yes, I tried to find out what happened without results. Too good to be true, i think...
I googled about their CEO, Joseph_Mangan, interesting story:

I don't know is this man has a problems again or he is just trying to get rich quickly

Zeljko Budovic said:
I don't know is this man has a problems again or he is just trying to get rich quickly
I have read about his story because Mangan himself had posted a link to some information on his past (well, that link is gone with all the other articles). I also recall a similar story that happened to a French engineer, a couple years ago. He also got fired and pursued after pointing out security issues on the Airbus. Makes you wonder ...
Mangan's story may qualify him as a difficult person but not necessarily as an impostor ;)

That service is free, and it worked for me fine, no matter who the CEO was or what he did. I just used it, got a tremendous improvement and wanted to share this with you guys. Up to yuo if you use it or not.

Rafal, these last posts by Zeljko and me refer to the articles on the TestPilot project that had been announced on Avsim forums, last week. The project by Joseph Mangan and some former FSX developers promoted a new, browser based, flightsim engine. As of Sunday, all of these articles have disappeared from Avsim forums.

You see, our posts were not related to yours. I'm afraid we mixed different subjects in this thread :)
Btw: the service you posted about is great. I already used it when I started my FSX "career" and it helped a lot.

Rafal Bardel said:

Thanks for the link Rafal, I just gave it a try, including setting fsx to unlimited frames, and using an external limiter.

Flew the same flight, however the weather was different so that could cause a big effect I guess)

Before changes (FPS limited to 22 in fsx) (taken from flight keeper)
Overall Average FPS: 15.92
Origin FPS: 18.15
Flight FPS: 15.71
Destination FPS: 11.53

After changes (FPS limited to 30 using external app, unlimited in FSX) (taken from flight keeper)
Overall Average FPS: 28.96
Origin FPS: 30.65
Flight FPS: 28.45
Destination FPS: 21.53

So on initial test, at least a 10 fps improvement in all areas.

Andrew Williams said:
Rafal Bardel said:

Thanks for the link Rafal, I just gave it a try, including setting fsx to unlimited frames, and using an external limiter.

Flew the same flight, however the weather was different so that could cause a big effect I guess)

Before changes (FPS limited to 22 in fsx) (taken from flight keeper)
Overall Average FPS: 15.92
Origin FPS: 18.15
Flight FPS: 15.71
Destination FPS: 11.53

After changes (FPS limited to 30 using external app, unlimited in FSX) (taken from flight keeper)
Overall Average FPS: 28.96
Origin FPS: 30.65
Flight FPS: 28.45
Destination FPS: 21.53

So on initial test, at least a 10 fps improvement in all areas.

Hi andrew, which external frame limiter are you using? NVIDIA INSPECTOR?
Cheers Tom

Peter Schindler said:

Peter, I found something about this:

I'd like to belive, but thinks like this make me wonder:

Same basic concept - a family man, a flight enthusiast which is skiled game and model designer, want to give as a very special plane for FSX, but he needs our help... 12000$ !!!
Of course, this is a new way to fund and support creativity, the money is not for him, and he will do all hard job for us. People's who support this project will have some privileges etc...
He has the same name :lol: (ok, this is not important)

I don't know what to say about this new concept to support creativity, or to make money fast, maybe?
I'm not saying that they are impostors, maybe I'm just getting old and conservative... :think:

Zeljko Budovic said:
Peter Schindler said:

I'd like to belive, but thinks like this make me wonder:

Same basic concept - a family man, a flight enthusiast which is skiled game and model designer, want to give as a very special plane for FSX, but he needs our help... 12000$ !!!
Of course, this is a new way to fund and support creativity, the money is not for him, and he will do all non-profit hard job only for us. People's who support this project will have some privileges etc...
He has the same name :lol: (ok, this is not important)

I don't know what to say about this new concept to support creativity, or to make money fast, maybe?
I'm not saying that they are impostors, maybe I'm just getting old and conservative... :think:

Zeljko Budovic said:
Thanks, Zeljko ;)
things like this make me wonder:
Makes me wonder, too ... Not that I wouldn't believe that the 717 is a serious project, but a very special one :lol:
But then again, there's a lot of much stranger projects on Kickstart trying to get a funding :D

Anyway, I think that basically there's no difference between the two Josephs. It's up to you if you risk money on a project or not and if you think it can be done or not. There's always the risk for the producer not to reach the funding he needs, and the risk for the investor to spend money on hot air.
Although I still consider the Mangan project extremely interesting, the problem is that he's probably right in what he says about today's market for "game" software and the attitude of consumers. Maybe reason for another promising project to fail.

Hi Guys,

I just want to refresh this topic if anyone has any new information about prepar3d or maybe experience?
The signs are promissing; performance, compatibility, etc.
Basically the file structure is the same as the FSX, so most of the add-ons can be used under Prepare3D as well.
Also with some "homework" the VATSIm connection is also possible as I can see.

Someone maybe with personal experiences?

There is some news about Prepar3D, but nothing spectacular. Prepar3D is still 32bit, some weather and clouds improvements are made, but still nothing big. You can't use PMDG planes with Prepar3D, it's very important for me becouse i use only PMDG NGX, MD11 and Maddog. FSX with all addons is still better than P3D. Some people's says that P3D have better performance, that is smoother than fsx, but they forgot that they actually compare performance of old fsx installation full of addons, with REX clouds, UTX and GEX textures etc vs fresh P3D installation without or with only a few addons.
So, nothing new for now :)
I follow what is happening in their forum too :yes:

P.S. i tried P3D for 1 month free licence, but i uninstaled it after 2 days

Hello Folks,

Is there anyone out there tested already the prepare3D v2?
I am thinkink to change over from FSX as it is already an old platform, with huge resource requirements and without any additional development. The only thing which keeps FSX alive is the add-on field.
Any exactly this is where I want to be careful as well as have purchased many add-ons for the FSX over the last 13 years :)
What I am looking is a smoother, more fps friendly 64bit environment where I can fly on VATSIM with some of the major add-ons like PMDG, Aerosoft Airbus and weather engine.

Someone else is thinking in this direction as well? Sorry, but I still not convinced by x-plane :)

Cheers,
Tibor

where I can fly on VATSIM with some of the major add-ons like PMDG, Aerosoft Airbus and weather engine.
I believe P3D is not made for doing this; it's geared towards study for real flight. I've heard PMDG . I won't be surprised when their 737 arrives first at XPlane.
Sorry, but I still not convinced by x-plane
Did you try their demo?
What I am looking is a smoother, more fps friendly 64bit environment
Why not spend some money on hardware? I mean, P3D isn't exactly cheap either.

Hello Barthe,

Thanks for your feedback.
What I can see from the market it seems for me the prepare3d as a platform is more interesting for the developers than the x-plane. prepare3d is based on FSX so from developer side it is easier to adapt existing addons and the majority of customers are expected from the FSX world.
Yes, I have tried the x-plane, even have purchased the v10, but the number of available addons is very low, especially for airliners. The only reasonable product there for me is the x737 and still not talking about sceneries. I am not saying x-plane is good or bad, just for the moment it can not offer the same virtual world experience like FSX. This is the area where prepare3d could have an advantage.
I saw on other forums where people were claiming it is more for professional users, but there LM representatives declared the prepare3d is available for everyone (and to be honest would be not a smart idea just to focus on pro.users).
On hardware side I have done a lot already and I feel that is not the right way to extend my 64 bit system even more for a 32 bit and 10 years old application. Do not get me wrong I am in love of FSX, I grow up on MS FS, but this time is over, and just try to find the perfect replacement :)

Tibor

8) Ok about P3D - let us put away our pink sunglasses. LM is the biggest company in making and selling lethal weapons - big business. Do we really think that they are interested in us poor simmers. No way in my point of view, they just found a lot of willing to pay beta testers for their prof. software. Tell me one reason why they should be interested in private flightsims, when Microsoft was not interested anymore. The sim business is small very small almost not there if you sell deadly weapons like LM. :devil:

About Xplane - there are much more sceneries then for FSX and you are able to convert even all FS9 and FS10 sceneries, you get high definition mesh and photscenieries for free, I have 3TB of sceneries on a raid. You get the best GAs with the best flying behaviour. Much better then on MSFS. But yes concerning airliners they are a bit behind. I did not try the B777 and the B757 I mostly took the MU2 and Carenado in Xplane. I am using both XP10 64bit and FSX - but of course it is very time consuming to keep both up to date (even FSX is a very outdated application).

But really P3D will not satisfy what we are searching for private flight simulation. I just do not believe it, I do not see any reason for this LM company. Maybe I am not right and LM will get in love with us simmers - let´s see. But for Laminar it is essential to keep up with their business and XPlane.
Cheers Tom

I agree with you, Tom. Lockheed is not really interested in selling to us. But they also say so. They state in their adverts it's aimed at training real pilots. Of course, being real salespeople, they won't say no when you want to buy it. :devil: And of course if add on devs. add the stuff that P3D is missing compared to FSX it could still be (an expensive) entertainment product.

I think Lockheed wants to secure a place in serious desktop simulation. Some people predict that desktop computers will get so powerful they can replace some of the functions of real(expensive) simulators. You already mentioned weapons etc. I read in a serious Dutch newspaper that fresh air force recruits get a first test ride in a desktop sim. Cockpits for drones also look a lot like desktop sim, so P3D could become a training sim for that, too.

I also don't think LM needs to earn money with it right now, they just want to own the product and experiment a bit with it.

It's just sad that MS picked up fs, lifted it to a higher level and then dropped it like a stone. :'( Of course they sort of still own the rights to the entertainment side of fs. Ballmer wants to leave and envisions a split up MS. So maybe the games part will get more autonomous. Then they can decide to try again or sell the rights, who knows...

And I read here and there that PMDG is busy developing for Xplane, so then you'll have your airliner too. So as long as Xplane doesn't get sued to death over it's mobile product...

Just see it this way: scientist say that what we see is not the real world, just an interpretation of our eyes and brain. :? So an imperfect simulation of an interpretation is quite alright. Yes.....I know it's getting late. :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom