Dublin - Jeroen??

Users Local time
Today 9:44 PM
Hi,

Popping over to Dublin in a couple of weeks on a 2penny return :lol: flight with Ryanair

I've read there is no train to city from airport, but plenty of buses.

Where should we go in Dublin City? Obviously we have to go somewhere for a pint of Guinness too :)

Any suggestions of things to do? Only there for a day.

Forget Dublin Andrew, the west of ireland is much nicer :wink:

I live for 10 years in Ireland now, but haven't been in Dublin yet, except for passing through and going to some flightsim conventions. For the Guinness rest asured that you don't want to drink another pint anymore after your visit to Dublin, cause that's what you get everywhere. You can find all the tourist attractions on www.dublin.ie, but you probably thought that one out yourself.

I am a musician and play amongst other a lot of Irish Trad. I don't know if you like that, but I would recommend to watch out for sessions on your walks through Dublin. Most pubs do sessions all year through and have it sign posted. For me that's the real craic in Ireland. A nice pint, and a good session.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Next time you visit Ireland get a cheap Ryanair ticket to Shannon and I'll be of much more help then.

Enjoy your stay and many happy returns

Jeroen

Looks like it's beer and music for the day then :) Not so keen on Guinness personally, but sure I can manage a few jars
Jeroen Bos said:
Next time you visit Ireland get a cheap Ryanair ticket to Shannon and I'll be of much more help then.

Just looked, and Ryanair seem to be stopping flying there at the end of this month :wall:

Andrew Williams said:
Not so keen on Guinness personally
Try this instead:
murphys.jpg

picture taken from my office fridge 5mins ago ;) (of course you shouldn't drink out of cans!)
Depends on personal taste but it's smoother than Guiness. The sad story is that it belongs to Heineken nowadays, but still based in Cork, Ireland. The cans were bought in France, btw :D

:cheers:

An Irish brand name, owned by a dutch brewery, bought by a German in France, the refrigerator possibly from Italy? ... Welcome to the EU :)

:LOL: I was thinking exactly the same. Best european spirit!
The fridge is a solid german brand - Bauknecht. But who knows, maybe they already belong to some chinese corporation ...

Anytime, Jeroen! We could use a good designer. 8)
But be aware that the rest of the fridge content is rather disillusioning ;)

Well im back :)

Dublin is erm... anyway I only went for the flight there and back again, as not flown anywhere for over 10 years, so thought I would have a little cheap trip.

Not too impressed with Dublin airport, its pretty basic, and what's worse, the bar doesn't stay open during the night. :wall: only thing to do in the early hours is chat up the non attractive macdonalds staff :lol:
Once you go through to departure, there isn't many shops or things to do either, where as at Newcastle, there are bars, shops, games arcade etc something to help pass the time while waiting for hours on end.

Overall, glad I went just for the flight, as it only cost 2cents return :mrgreen:

Couple of piccies....(all clickable)

Our transport to Dublin....

Sunrise on return - couldn't decide if I liked this one or not.

Flap tip vortex? :wonder:

Touchdown

Andrew Williams said:
Not too impressed with Dublin airport, its pretty basic, and what's worse, the bar doesn't stay open during the night. :wall: only thing to do in the early hours is chat up the non attractive macdonalds staff :lol:
Sounds like a lot of fun :D
Nice pictures, though.

What's that Andrew??? Did you stay all the time at the airport??? In that case I could have told you before it would be disappointing. Didn't you take a bus into town? Tell me more please.

Hi Jereon,

No no no, didn't stay at airport full time.

Landed around 10am. Got a 'rambler' tickets, went into Dublin Centre, and o'connell? street, went along to the docks area (where 'the o2' is), then got another bus off to some park, then back to o'connell street. Got back to the airport around 10pm, for the flight back at 6am.

Andrew Williams said:
back to the airport around 10pm, for the flight back at 6am.
OUCH! now that really sounds like a lot of fun :LOL:
didn't realize you had to stay the whole night there. no wonder it's a 2 penny flight :)

luckily I got a nice sofa style bench (facing the tv with sky sports on all night), managed to get a little sleep :) had the bar been open, the night would have flown by (well at €5.30 per pint, I would have been a slow drinking :mrgreen: )

Others were sleeping propped up on little plastic chairs :lol:

What is beer price like in Germany? I'm not happy to pay over £3 (€ = £ now) here.

Back
Top Bottom