Airbus vs. Boeing

Users Local time
Today 9:16 PM
Little hellish one... But... Do You prefer Airbus or Boeing and why?

My opinions were quite on both sides. I always liked 747, and almost from begining idea of 7e7/787. But then something called "home cockpit" arrived in my plans and that was big question about witch plane simulate in it. Obvious reasons 787 was my first toughts, but in case of cockpit Boeing style is much harder to make, because of moving throttle during autothrottle. In case of Airbus i was fammiliar with Fly-By-Wire idea, and even prepared some 1:1 printouts of A318 "dashboard", but i'm very unconfortable with flying left hand on stick.
Top of my favorite planes list, next to 747 is little duel between A318 and 787... And now i saw A350 specifications, and it looks like AIrbus won competition in my opinion. I will stay with Airbus now, soon I will finish my starter flights for this year made with 737F and will stick to twin engine Airbuses, selecting A320 or A321 in scheduled flights, but probably flying them with A318. Also in (far) future I will probably make some kind of home cockpit based more or less on A320 or A350 cockpit (and if i win in eurolotto i'll get full 6-dimension of movement cockpit with dome projection :devil: )...

Airbus fan here :D

Little hellish one... But... Do You prefer Airbus or Boeing and why?
Yes, you're on dangerous territory here :!: ;) A bit like starting a thread about MS vs Linux/Mac or Pepsi vs Coke.

I prefer Boeing, simply because of the looks. As an European I should be all Airbus but I simply don't like the "weak" nose compared to the sharp Boeing one.

As far as flying's concerned; the philosophy of Airbus is that the autopilot's in command and prevents the pilot from doing anything stupid while Boeing's autopilot's more a tool for the pilot. For simming the last option's probably more fun.
but i'm very unconfortable with flying left hand on stick
I've never understood this. While most people are right-handed, is the first officer supposed to do all the hand-flying(if any) and is the pilot's side stick just for backup? Well, there's very little hand-flying in an Airbus anyway.

But, I really don't hate Airbus or something like that, actually there aren't many planes I hate. Although some of them look strange, aerodynamics dictates that most of them look quite good.
and if i win in eurolotto i'll get full 6-dimension of movement cockpit with dome projection
Why? If you win you should just skip that and apply for a commercial pilot's licence to fly your own private jet. :rofl:

I do not get it. Are you both talking about the Airbus/Boeing aircrafts in the real world or about the sims for Airbus and Boeing? And if the second case is true... how can you compare sims from FS2004 (Barthe) and X-Plane 9 (Szymon)?
Just curiosity...

:fly:

I do not get it. Are you both talking about the Airbus/Boeing aircrafts in the real world or about the sims for Airbus and Boeing? And if the second case is true... how can you compare sims from FS2004 (Barthe) and X-Plane 9 (Szymon)?
I think Szymon's making up his mind which real-world aircraft to simulate with his home cockpit. If I understand this correctly a home cockpit is a contraption ;) made of plywood with real/imitation gauges that replaces a VC with something more tangible. A lot of home cockpits (partly) have their own software so the make of the simulator and or virtual aircraft does matter less in this case.

At least if I were making such a thing my choice would depend on the real-world air plane. When you have a home cockpit you could even use a virtual aircraft without a VC or panel because you only need the view out of the front left window.

Barthe Hogenboom said:
and if i win in eurolotto i'll get full 6-dimension of movement cockpit with dome projection
Why? If you win you should just skip that and apply for a commercial pilot's licence to fly your own private jet. :rofl:

Health matters mostly... With my bad eyes and teeth i probably will not pass any pilot health exam. And in good designed full motion platform changing aircraft is few clicks. Like making universal platform witch will include fms and some other stuff - i can fly commertial planes, but with few other clicks that shell can be fighter jet or heli, or even space sim... I VERY like concept of but with his earlier versions with monitors for outside view, not projectors. And with new technology it can be 3-5 LCD TV like 40" or something not "ugly" 3x17" CRT, also FMC with good software can be held on widescreen touchscreen etc... And compact build with monitors for outside view is much easier to move on platform...
Ricardo Rementería Troncoso said:
Just curiosity...

I thinked bout real airplanes, but comparing FS9 to XPL9 and FSX to XPL10 is quite OK for me. Especially when You talk about more complex builds like "PMDG 737" [fs] vs "x737" with "UFMC" [xpl] or "QPAC A320" [xpl] to lets say "Wilco A320" with "vasFMC" [fs]. In any case 2d panel will look more like real plane, and how it feel in air or how livery looks (is rendered) its other question.

Barthe Hogenboom said:
I think Szymon's making up his mind which real-world aircraft to simulate with his home cockpit. If I understand this correctly a home cockpit is a contraption ;) made of plywood with real/imitation gauges that replaces a VC with something more tangible. A lot of home cockpits (partly) have their own software so the make of the simulator and or virtual aircraft does matter less in this case.

At least if I were making such a thing my choice would depend on the real-world air plane. When you have a home cockpit you could even use a virtual aircraft without a VC or panel because you only need the view out of the front left window.

Exacly. If You make home cockpit then simulator is more or less for outside view only, so scenery and gfx stuff matters, not actual airplane, witch in most cases need to be tweaked to fit specifis cockpit setup (hardware). Easiest stuff is to buy Saitek instruments (radio, multi, switch, instrument panels) and with yoke its more or less "cessna style" cockpit ready to fly, then just outside view without panels on monitor...
Other thing is when You want to build airplane cockpit replice, then You need not only exact dimensions and ccolors for parts, but also dedicated software to simulate some behavior of switches. Like starting APU in 737. In simulator You need to single, short click APU start button assigned to joy or yoke, but in real You need to switch and hold "on" for 10+ seconds, then relase and wait few minutes. That thing can be programmed with FSBus or other software, that will sit between cockpit hardware and simulator.
So that was fast and ugly concept (Saitek) vs. dedicated beauty. There is also option for something universal. Its possible to do, if You dont care about exact look, just general feel. You need some basic instruments: PFD, ND, EICAS, FMC, MCDU, radio panel and some steering options: throttle, yoke/joy, pedals, some switches... With good plan all stuff can be "unisex", but if You decide to use joystick overall feel will be more like airbus or fighterjet, and if You get yoke it will be more Boeing or GA airplane. Oh. And if You want ever try helicopters... Try to fly that with yoke :devil: ... On other hand yoke is more precise tool for manual landing than joystick.
Earlier i've mentioned cockpit designed by . Firstly it was F-16 replica, then finished as "general" civil airplane cockpit with FMC and projectors. Using joystick on right hand with custom build throttle on left side is way more universal than any yoke combination, and You still have place for keyboard in front of You if You want use that cockpit to something other than flying. Hans needed 9 PC if i can remember, but today CPU power with good GPU should be able to run full simulator even on single PC (no problem with at least 6 outputs for monitors - and in most cases you need only 3 of then for outside view). And with computing problem making LAN with 2 or 3 PC is absolutely no problem. Biggest problem is price of components that will output simulator data into hardware of cockpit (like iluminating gear indicators)...

So back to topic - Airbus is easier to do, with more universal setup, has VERY cleanlooking cockpit with no sticking parts in middle (yoke)... Unfortunately have no room for full cockpit, even half of it will be extreme to fit in my apartment, thats why i need eurolotto win :p

Hello,

in summer 2004 I have began to build my homecockpit. Before I began to build, I have had to made my decission. In former times my absolutly favorite aircraft was the "B767-300 Pilot In Comment" (now called Level-D), but I was also flying every other airplane (Airbus, ATR... and so on). But I made my decission for the B737. Why?
1) If you are building a homecockpit, you only will fly this type of aircraft.
2) With the B767-300 you can't land on smaller airports.
3) With an Airbus you don't need all this knobs and buttons you have to build for a homecockpit, because the autopilot will do that for you.
4) Also I want a yoke in my hand and not a joystick. If I want to have a joystick in my hand, I would prefer to build a Space Shuttle.
5) With a B737 you also can fly a B738, because the cockpit is nearly the same.
6) Most of the cockpits that will be build all over the world, are the B737. But many of the cockpitbuilders are given up before they are ready. And then they sell here parts of the cockpit (mostly very cheap)

I'm not ready yet, because in spring 2007 I bagan to build up Air-Child with Peter. And because I don't play Lotto, I only will buy parts that are cheap or I will do it by my self ;)

Best Regards
Norbert

Back
Top Bottom