Request for pause

Users Local time
Today 12:26 AM
I'm going to have to request a pause for a little while. Had problems with new internet provider, and now my computer died. Can't fly from my I phone but can still keep up with the forums . Needed to get a new computer anyway but it's going to be a bit. Anyone know if you can run windows 8 and 7 on same system? Want to add the hard drive with all my data to the new system I'm looking at. My old drive has windows 8.1

Cheers and hope to be back soon

Hi, I hope you get back online soon. ISPs are mostly a necessary evil. Just like sewage systems; everybody knows they stink but you need them anyway. :lol:
Anyone know if you can run windows 8 and 7 on same system?
I remember some story in C't magazine about turning off UEFI secure boot if you want to dual boot OSes with and without secure boot. Something that has to be done before installing Win8. If it's pre-installed with Win8 it might get difficult because you don't have an install disk. I don't know all the ins and outs of UEFI but reading something about it before beginning a dual boot or VM adventure might be wise.

I would always choose to built my own system for these sort of reasons. Salvaging parts from a pc that has died of unknown reasons can be difficult of course... To my experience it's the psu most of times.

Yep, it's the power supply. I might just replace it and press on. A fine line between need and want sometimes. Really wanted a new rig but the better half squeezes a quarter til the eagle poops! What's a guy to do? :p

Cheers

Really wanted a new rig but the better half squeezes a quarter til the eagle poops! What's a guy to do?
I really wouldn't like to be responsible for a family row. :rofl:

Maybe you should use the :) ; slowly replace all parts until you have the rig you wanted. But then you still have to re-install Win8. If you just plug the old Win8 disk into a new mobo you get all sorts of trouble and a lousy performance.

We'll,changed the psu. Plugged it in and after 10 minutes it started to spark followed by smoke then flame. So as far as the broom or computer paradox in this case. Will you still have the same computer after you change it's parts? I'm going to have to say Nooo! If you believe that everything is connected, for instance a butterfly flaps it's wings in Hawaii you get a hurricane in Miami ... Then my appologies for the drought you are about to experience on the other side of the globe. Looks like a broom ride for me.

Cheers

I'm sorry to hear you've bad luck with your pc. Looking on the bright side; now you surely have your excuse to buy a completely new rig. The old one is definitely unrepairable. It wouldn't surprise me if some big power regulating capacitors etc. on the mobo caused this chain reaction. But it can also be the new psu; I've read hundreds of stories of brand new psus blowing up.

I suppose I've been lucky with my parts the last few years, changing a blown graphics card and months later a fried psu and everything worked again each time. But well...electronics work on smoke...when it escapes it stops working.

Back
Top Bottom