VATSIM sound quality

Users Local time
Today 4:46 AM
Hello guys, I just started flying online and I just find it impossible to hear anything what the controllers say. I know that the codecs used on VATSIM are about as old as I am (27) but how do you other guys manage it?

I tried last night to set different levels etc etc, but the controllers still sound like they talk into a can 2000000 miles away :(.

Just want some tips, should I try SB4 over FSinn?

Cheers, Kristoffer

Hi Kristoffer,

i think it is not a problem of any program. Most of the ATC-Voice in Germany i can hear clear and loud enough but some are using addons which make the radio "real". I heard that the realradio have not a good quality.

It may help if you reduce the bass (lows) and increase the highs. And reduce the background noise from your flightsimulator. It may help... otherwise: Ask Say Again, perhaps you are not the only one who has problems to understand the ATC.

Greets
Stefan

Thanks for the tips Stefan, I will try them later tonight. I actually had to disable all simulator sound to even hear a thing over VATSIM (even after setting the sound higher).

//Kristoffer

Kristoffer Aspen said:
Thanks for the tips Stefan, I will try them later tonight. I actually had to disable all simulator sound to even hear a thing over VATSIM (even after setting the sound higher).

//Kristoffer

Which OS do you use? Does your sound card provides more the one output? Let us say one for loudspeakers 2.0 / 2.1 / 3.1 / 5.1 etc. and one for headset (with mic) ?
Tom

For FSX (on Win7 machine) I use FSINN on a remote machine (Win XP) - if you are german speaker you will find a good manual here:

if you need this in english Zeljko uploaded a good pdf:

Cheers Tom

Tom Weber said:
Kristoffer Aspen said:

//Kristoffer

Which OS do you use? Does your sound card provides more the one output? Let us say one for loudspeakers 2.0 / 2.1 / 3.1 / 5.1 etc. and one for headset (with mic) ?
Tom

For FSX (on Win7 machine) I use FSINN on a remote machine (Win XP) - if you are german speaker you will find a good manual here:

Cheers Tom

Hello,
I use Win 7 x64 with Logitech G35 Headset (USB) no external speakers.
I've read both pdf's and will look into it later tonight. Thank you for all the information.
I will also try my other headset (Creative Evo ZXR), tho I think the microphone on that is really bad.

//Kristoffer

Hi Kristoffer,

There will be no difference between FSinn and SB regarding sound quality. I prefer FSinn over SB, installing can be a little bit tricky, but it's much better in my opinion.

Tips:
- ensure you have "realistic distorsion" option unchecked in FSinn

- with FSX running, open Volume Mixer and play with sound settings. You can set lower values for FSX, and this will be realistic. Keep in mind that real pilots wear headphones, so all external sounds are dramatically reduced - engines, enviroment etc.

- the most important tip: read ATC communication guides, VATSIM guides, Air-Child online flying guide. Be prepared for each flight, so you can know what to expect to hear from controlers. If you are parked at gate 24 and you know runway in use, it's easy to predict which taxiways will be used... Also, you should know SID and STAR for your route. Things like this. You can use text at beginning, and listen to communications until you get used to it.
Hope that helps

Kristoffer Aspen said:
Tom Weber said:
Kristoffer Aspen said:

//Kristoffer

Tom

Cheers Tom

Hello,
I use Win 7 x64 with Logitech G35 Headset (USB) no external speakers.
I've read both pdf's and will look into it later tonight. Thank you for all the information.
I will also try my other headset (Creative Evo ZXR), tho I think the microphone on that is really bad.

//Kristoffer

Ok this means that FSX sound and Vatsim sound you will hear always through the same speakers (headset), true? I think that will always be very tricky, cause you have to adjust the FSX sound and the Vatsim sound for one sound source. If now an ATC is lower or higher your adjustment is gone. Better use it on different sources. I know Zeljko did this to, but he was complaining a lot…:)
Cheers Tom

All the above is true. Also it could be as simple as turning the acft radio on. Embarrassed to admit but it happened to me a couple times. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom