Real World ATC language

Users Local time
Today 2:55 PM
I always thought that ATC all over the world spoke in one common language - English.

Just been watching a Concorde documentary, and the ATC communication was in French.

So what is the rule, can ATC speak in whatever language the want?

The common language is english, yes, and normally should be used. But in some countries like France, Italy, Spain and Canada (french) they speak their language aswell.

Only because Spanish and French are ICAO languages.
Arabic (ar), Chinese (zh), English (en), French (fr), Russian (ru) and Spanish (es)

cheers,
tobi

Tobias, don't forget the Portuguese in Brasil :)
Anyway, regardless of what language is used by the controller, for me it's always great to hear another language - you get the feeling of being there really (great after many hours of flight) ;)

Yep, but Portuguese is not an official ICAO language as far as I know. Using different languages only causes misunderstandings and reduces the situational awareness of pilots not understanding the other language.

cheers,
tobi

Hey,

It mainly depends on what languages a certain station is released for.
This is clarified in the AIP for each country.

To give you an example:
Wien Radar (the enroute control) is only permitted to communicate in English
The same for any APP positions around airports (Graz, Linz, Innsbruck Radar)
BUT
The tower positions in Austria are permitted to speak German OR English, depending on the initial call of the pilot. (He may choose which language to use - the controller then has to reply using the same language)

One reason is, that VFR traffic often is easier to handle in your "mother tounge" - if there is more info to give and of course this is a relict of the good old times. Nowadays more and more pilots primarily use English. Radar-positions have to be handled in English, as any kind of traffic may occur (Chinese pilots, German pilots, Spanish pilots ....)

Mario Hirschmugl said:
Radar-positions have to be handled in English, as any kind of traffic may occur (Chinese pilots, German pilots, Spanish pilots ....)

Not everywhere, for example Spain, France...

cheers,
tobi

Tobias Niederhauser said:
... Using different languages only causes misunderstandings and reduces the situational awareness of pilots not understanding the other language.
I agree with you partially Tobi;
If I am provided with ATC, I don't care what language the controller talk to the local pilots, just because I have the confidence that the entire traffic around me is under control.
By contrast, if I fly on the unicom frequency, sometimes it gets damn hard to navigate between. In particular, as described above - 123.450 with heavy traffic :S

Tomasz Wydrzynski said:
Tobias Niederhauser said:
I don't care what language the controller talk to the local pilots, just because I have the confidence that the entire traffic around me is under control

You should care what happens around you, you're responsible for your aircraft. Humans are known to make mistakes either ATC or other pilots ;) But I'm talking about real life, on VATSIM you don't have to care to much :devil:

cheers,
tobi

Hey Tobias,

ok, then this is published in the Spanish AIP.
If they decide that radar positions may use the mother tongue, they can do so.
Just used Austria to give you a small example ;)

BTW as regards VS, you really can have an unforgettable experience. Once, flying across the Czech, under Praha Radar, I had an opportunity to listen (in Czech) to the radar controller giving a flying lesson to a pilot for ... the entire FIR crossing, i.e. approximately 30 minutes.
Also, when you fly over Greece you can't escape an impression that ATC is there mainly to train pilots in Greek or just ATC instructions in Greek are unusually long and complicated :lol:

Back
Top Bottom