FSX causes system to freeze

Users Local time
Today 8:04 AM
Hi guys, I'm having a quite annoying issue lately and i really dont know what is causing it. FSX causes my system to completely freeze, keyboard is unresponsive and all i can do is to reboot pressing the reset button. It happens randomly, sometimes when i'm still on the tarmac, others in flight and others (even more annoying) when i'm on final. I was wondering if anyone had the same issue, and eventually found a fix.

My system specs:

i7 4470k 4.4ghz cooled with a Corsair H100i
MB Asus Z87A
16gb ram
Palit GTX 960 Super Jetstream
Win 7

Enzo Calcagni said:
Hi guys, I'm having a quite annoying issue lately and i really dont know what is causing it. FSX causes my system to completely freeze, keyboard is unresponsive and all i can do is to reboot pressing the reset button. It happens randomly, sometimes when i'm still on the tarmac, others in flight and others (even more annoying) when i'm on final. I was wondering if anyone had the same issue, and eventually found a fix.

My system specs:

i7 4470k 4.4ghz cooled with a Corsair H100i
MB Asus Z87A
16gb ram
Palit GTX 960 Super Jetstream
Win 7

Very difficult to say, best place to start is Kostas Tweaking Guide for FSX and AVSIM Forum for FSX
Tom

Enzo Calcagni said:
Thanks for your time Tom, I'll take a look, much appreciated ;)
First to try maybe the exchange of the UIAutomationCore. Make a copy of your existing one and replace it with the download. You will find it in the FSX directory. Take a look if the existing one is the same version as the download version. As I remember the wrong one will cause CTDs.
Cheers Tom

Thaks aqgain Tom, I'll give it a try and replace the dll, even if the problem is not a CTD, but a total system freeze it's worth a try :)

Just a quick update, replacing the dll did not fix the problem, the system has frozen 30 seconds after take off, quite frustrating... :? I'm considering a clean fsx reinstall, might be a solution.

Hi Enzo,
if you are going to reinstall FSX - maybe you should think of a new install of Win7 with the following tweak guide. (I use two SSDs one for the system Win7 64 and one for FSX, and I only use this system for any FSX related applications, for anything else like ADOBE or other Games I use another system drive)
a)
after that follow the instructions of installing FSX - I did skip Nicks win7 tweaks
b)
Then go for Kostas tweaks
c)

If you think of DX10 the "DX10 Scenery Fixer" is a very good tool
For configuration use this pdf

If you are using a Nvidia Gforce you have to try which driver is the best for FSX and your card. I use a GTX780TI and for me the best working driver is Geforce 332.21

Ok this will cost you some time - but if you like simming it is worth to do it - my opinion
But please do not blame me if anything goes wrong, this is the way I did it with success.
Cheers Tom

Hi Tom, once again, thanks for the tips ;)
Here's a status update, I think i managed to reproduce the issue, but i had no luck solving it. Basically, here's how FSX locks up the entire PC. I load a new flight using the PMDG 737-800, plan the flight, FMC programming, checklists and so on. I taxi to the runway, takeoff, and after a minute anything locks up. I tried it several times, at different airports, and the outcome was always the same. So i thought it was related to the PMDG, reinstalled the aircraft, tried again and it crashed again. So at this point i'm uninstalling FSX togheter with every addon and i'm gonna try a clean install. Unfortunately i cannot perform a clean Win7 installation, wish i could, but i need the pc for work as well. Anyways, i'll keep you posted :)
Regards

Enzo Calcagni said:
Hi Tom, once again, thanks for the tips ;)
Here's a status update, I think i managed to reproduce the issue, but i had no luck solving it. Basically, here's how FSX locks up the entire PC. I load a new flight using the PMDG 737-800, plan the flight, FMC programming, checklists and so on. I taxi to the runway, takeoff, and after a minute anything locks up. I tried it several times, at different airports, and the outcome was always the same. So i thought it was related to the PMDG, reinstalled the aircraft, tried again and it crashed again. So at this point i'm uninstalling FSX togheter with every addon and i'm gonna try a clean install. Unfortunately i cannot perform a clean Win7 installation, wish i could, but i need the pc for work as well. Anyways, i'll keep you posted :)
Regards

Really my advice (cause FSX is an old bi…) - take another HD for a clean Win7 and one for the FSX - best would be 2 SSDs - there should be space for SSDs in your machine. So you can boot for work or boot for FSX….
Tom

Yeah, there's wisdom in your words Tom, that could be definitely an interesting solution! :D Btw, I've just reinstalled FSX, togheter with the PMDG 737 and FS2 Crew, the system is completely stable right now, no crashes or problems so far.

Enzo Calcagni said:
Yeah, there's wisdom in your words Tom, that could be definitely an interesting solution! :D Btw, I've just reinstalled FSX, togheter with the PMDG 737 and FS2 Crew, the system is completely stable right now, no crashes or problems so far.

Ok so you might be happy…
Tom

@Tom: Indeed I am! :) I'm doing some more test flights to make sure the system is stable, but it seems the problem has gone (crosses fingers). Next step will be getting an ssd drive and make a dedicated fsx installation, as per your suggestion.

@Andres: Yes I did, the system was freezing even with the default 747, so i guess the problem was anything but the pmdg.

EDIT: I think i spoke too early, got another system freeze right before TOD. This time the only thing that changed is that I've installed fsuipc, man that's frustrating....

Back
Top Bottom