VATSIM unicom

Users Local time
Today 2:39 PM
Hello everyone,

after a long time i've decided to make a step forward and try to fly online. I've had some experience flying on IVAO but the environment was too stressful for me so i've left it. So i decided to move to vatsim and see if i can manage to perform a flight without pissing off the atc :) This leads to my first question, which is related to the unicom channel and atc coverage. After reading all the documentation found on the vatsim website i think i have a clear picture, but still a doubt. You all know better than me that a pilot should use the unicom when there's no atc coverage available, but what happens when the area is covered by eurocontrol only, like it was this morning? I mean, from the description i've read on servinfo it seems that eurocontrol monitors aircracts above a certain FL (210 or 260, can't remember exactly), am i supposed to contact him for the clearance or switch to unicom and make contact when i'm about to pass said flight level? Additionally, lets suppose that there's no atc coverage, i'm at the blocks and there's no other aicraft in the airport but some are flying around, have i to use unicom to inform them about my movements on the taxiway?

Regards

Enzo Calcagni said:
Hello everyone,

after a long time i've decided to make a step forward and try to fly online. I've had some experience flying on IVAO but the environment was too stressful for me so i've left it. So i decided to move to vatsim and see if i can manage to perform a flight without pissing off the atc :) This leads to my first question, which is related to the unicom channel and atc coverage. After reading all the documentation found on the vatsim website i think i have a clear picture, but still a doubt. You all know better than me that a pilot should use the unicom when there's no atc coverage available, but what happens when the area is covered by eurocontrol only, like it was this morning? I mean, from the description i've read on servinfo it seems that eurocontrol monitors aircracts above a certain FL (210 or 260, can't remember exactly), am i supposed to contact him for the clearance or switch to unicom and make contact when i'm about to pass said flight level? Additionally, lets suppose that there's no atc coverage, i'm at the blocks and there's no other aicraft in the airport but some are flying around, have i to use unicom to inform them about my movements on the taxiway?

Regards

Hi,
about Eurocontrol - just call him if you come to his area or wait for a call. If you are on descent he will give you to Unicom if there is no ATC.
About Unicom - yes Vatsim wants that the pilots use Unicom. But if there is no other plane around and an empty airport it makes no sense to inform planes on other airports about your taxiways. If there are other planes on your departure airport, or heading your departure airport - just use Unicom with short messages to inform other players.
Cheers Tom

Hi Tom, thanks for the clarification. My doubt though was about the clearance in the event that the airport is unmanned and the only atc service is provided by eurocontrol. As far as i know, if for example the only atc available is the CTR, you ask him the for departure clearance, does this apply to eurocontrol as well?

Enzo Calcagni said:
Hi Tom, thanks for the clarification. My doubt though was about the clearance in the event that the airport is unmanned and the only atc service is provided by eurocontrol. As far as i know, if for example the only atc available is the CTR, you ask him the for departure clearance, does this apply to eurocontrol as well?

My experience is they do not control airports like a CTR controller. If you call them for clearance they will tell you that they are only responsible above FLxyz.
Cheers Tom

Back
Top Bottom