X-Plane on Windows 10

Jesco Freund

Beta Team
Users Local time
Today 2:59 AM
I just thought I'd collect experiences, good and bad ones, in this thread. So here are mine (Windows 10 pro amd64 version):

Upside:
  • X-Plane works
  • Graphics performance is fine (no difference to Windows 7 detected)
  • Gizmo works

Downside:
  • XACARS does not work (the plugin loads, retrieves flight information via ACARS, but it cannot start ACARS tracking)
  • The same is true for Xpassenger (though if I remember correctly, this was already due to one of the later X-Plane updates, maybe 10.35 or 10.36)
  • Sound does not work (this is however specific to certain Soundblaster cards - Creative Labs will provide drivers not before September; until then there's just an inofficial driver making the sound work, but not with OpenAL)

Jesco Freund said:
I just thought I'd collect experiences, good and bad ones, in this thread. So here are mine (Windows 10 pro amd64 version):

Upside:
  • X-Plane works
  • Graphics performance is fine (no difference to Windows 7 detected)
  • Gizmo works

Downside:
  • XACARS does not work (the plugin loads, retrieves flight information via ACARS, but it cannot start ACARS tracking)
  • The same is true for Xpassenger (though if I remember correctly, this was already due to one of the later X-Plane updates, maybe 10.35 or 10.36)
  • Sound does not work (this is however specific to certain Soundblaster cards - Creative Labs will provide drivers not before September; until then there's just an inofficial driver making the sound work, but not with OpenAL)

Why do you even try such a brand-new OS. It cannot work. But xplane will go forward. FSX not.
Cheers Tom

Why do you even try such a brand-new OS. It cannot work.
Why not, if you got the time. Someone has to try it. If for some reason you "have" to use Win 10 you're happy people did the testing and maybe found ways to run it. I see various people on fs.com who are even testing fs2004 on Win10(and it seems to work). Fs2004 might even be less fussy; it also seems to run reasonably in Linux under Wine now.

I'm also not a big Windows fan and especially not the newer increments of it but some people are locked to a certain OS(for work, pre-installled to notebook etc.).
But xplane will go forward. FSX not.
I agree that FSX won't improve content wise any more but Dovetail will probably make FSXSE Win10 compatible or they can close their doors soon. And of course for the affluent digital pilots there's P3D.

Tom Weber said:
Why do you even try such a brand-new OS. It cannot work. But xplane will go forward. FSX not.
Cheers Tom
Oh, indeed it works better than I expected. And as Barthe said, someone has to test... X-Plane itself is completely not an issue with Win 10, it's just some plugins (XACARS unfortunatley being one of them, and there was no recent development activity on XACARS, so no idea if it ever will be fixed).
Jesco Freund said:
That one by the way was not caused by Win 10, but by X-Plane itself (there was a bug, Ben Supnik mentioned it in his blog). The OpenAL bug in X-Plane was fixed with 10.40b8, so not to worry about.

Jesco Freund said:
...it's just some plugins (XACARS unfortunatley being one of them, and there was no recent development activity on XACARS, so no idea if it ever will be fixed).
Indeed, I found a fix for XACARS. The official download site is currently dead (i. e. there are no updates since XACARS was handed over from Bernhard Harb to Marko Martinetz). However, Marko has provided an updated version 2.5.5; but it can only be downloaded from his personal homepage.

The full procedure is explained here: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=76820
For the impatient, here's the link to Markos version: http://myprog.de/XACARS-2.5.5-Win.zip

Please note: Before installing it, you have to remove anything from the old Installation, including dlls copied into X-Plane's root directory.

Back
Top Bottom