ANNOUNCE: My X-Plane site

Users Local time
Today 12:51 PM
I've just published my own X-Plane WWW-site, with a lot of information and links interesting for Air-Child pilots using X-Plane (sceneries, aircrafts, liveries and add-ons/tools). Why? Because I wanted ONE place with all these themes together.

You see, I think everything must be SIMPLE and FRIENDLY.

You may visit it at:

Remen

Hi guys,

I have a logbook with "important" experiences using X-Plane 10. Today I've made a new entry about using the ATC (a little thriller) :lol:

The address is: http://xplane.remen.nl/Logbook/Entries/ ... twork.html

Saludos,

Very nice, Ricardo! I also like the look of the page. Thanks for sharing :)

Thnx Ricardo,
Xplane infos are very important. I myself wait for the big update before I go back to XP10. We will see what brings the future.
Cheers Tom

July will be a very, very busy month (X-Plane 10.10, iOS 5 and Apple's Mountain Lion).
No vacation this summer !!! :'( :D
My wife will not be happy... She doesn't know that yet :rofl:

Ciao Ricardo!
I visited with great interest your website about x-plane and appreciated very much (on top of all) your 'briefing' where you share some personal information - it is nice to know a little more about a fellow Captain - it would be nice to have a little space for a short 'bio' in our Air-Child pilot roster... Anyway the main reason for this post is to ask your help (and the one of other Captains) about an important decision I have to take, i.e.:
I'm about to buy from my brother a much better computer than I currently have (he is one of those computer freaks who must change PC every couple of years) and soon I'll have the chance to upgrade to a more modern simulator than FS9, then the obvious question is: FSX or x-plane? I am tempted to pass to x-plane as it looks more realistic in terms of aerodynamic and with a future, while Microsoft doesn't appear interested in investing in flight simulations anymore, but I still need to understand a couple of things...
1) Is x-plane 10 really as good as it looks like in their company website / video? I read also many comments of simmers complaining that this is still a beta version full of bugs... what can you tell me about it?
2) Currently I use Squawkbox and FS Flight Keeper to connect to VATSIM and log my flights, but I am afraid this latter one at least does not work with x-plane... what should I use instead?
3) I read in your website that x-plane doesn't feature many small airports and that even the large ones are often little more than an airstrip, with no building at all... Do I understand this correct? I have difficulties to believe that considering that somewhere else I read that x-plane comes with a 60 gbytes load of sceneries... Can you please clarify?
4) Like you I love small propeller planes because they allow to enjoy the landscape and are closer to the planes I hope to fly for real soon (I'm applying to a course as private pilot). Is it x-plane better than FSX in this regard?
Thank you for your advice!
All the best

WOW, a lot of questions...
I've never used FS9 or FSX, this means I can't really compare those flight simulators with X-Plane 10.
Also, I've never really used any version of Windows for games, I've always used MacOS (since december 1984).
Is x-plane 10 really as good as it looks like in their company website / video? I read also many comments of simmers complaining that this is still a beta version full of bugs...
Those videos and screenshots show what X-Plane is. No lies. Actually, I can do much more in my configuration than those videos and screenshots let see. There is a stable version at this moment (10.10), no problems there... and there is another version in developing (10.11), this last one is of course a beta. You see, X-Plane is always in developing (that's why I love it). I use version 10.10 for flying and version 10.11 for checking and testing the new features and fixes.
Currently I use Squawkbox and FS Flight Keeper to connect to VATSIM and log my flights, but I am afraid this latter one at least does not work with x-plane... what should I use instead?
No idea, because I do not know exactly what are the features of FS Flight Keeper. Sometimes I use VATSIM (with XSquawkBox 1.06), sometimes IVAO (with X-IvAp 2.0.1), both work fine. But I prefer to fly "offline" using X-Plane's ATC (more possibilities), because I think the online networks doesn't add much more to the fly experience (mostly problems and limitations). For the registration of the flights at Air-Child we use XAcars (it has limitations but there is nothing better yet).
I read in your website that x-plane doesn't feature many small airports and that even the large ones are often little more than an airstrip, with no building at all... Do I understand this correct? I have difficulties to believe that considering that somewhere else I read that x-plane comes with a 60 gbytes load of sceneries... Can you please clarify?
It's simple. X-Plane, actually Laminar Research, gives you a flight simulator with the best flight simulation, with some aircrafts, sceneries of the whole Earth (and Mars) and some demo-airports, many other airports have only runways and taxiways (the users must build them further). I do not think this is something bad of X-Plane, I call it a feature. It gives me the possibility to make sceneries of airports and cities/towns. I use it to fly, but also to create.
It's also so that many medium and small airports are not usable in X-Plane because the program uses extern data for airports and navigation aids (coordinated by Robin Peel, with information from users). There are also other commercial sources for this information, like Navigraph and Aerosoft, but the information is always parcial (many fixes, airports, VOR's, etc. are unknown). I mean, this is not a problem of X-Plane, but a global one.
60 GB? Maybe, only the "Global Scenery"-folder in my configuration is 57.05 GB, and the "Custom Scenery"-folder (sceneries made by users) is 71.63 GB. In my active "Custom Scenery" I only put the sceneries and libraries I'm really using (right now = 1.36 GB)
Like you I love small propeller planes because they allow to enjoy the landscape and are closer to the planes I hope to fly for real soon (I'm applying to a course as private pilot). Is it x-plane better than FSX in this regard?
Sorry, I do not know. I can only say that for X-Plane there are some very good small propellers, like the Twin Otter (DHC6) from X-Hangar, the BE58 Baron and the Mooney M20J from Carenado.

Saludos,

Dear Ricardo

thanks a lot for your advice. I am now even more convinced to pass to x-plane, despite the fact I'll lose the possibility to use FS Flight Keeper and I'm sure will spend hours to get all connections up and running (xacars, xsquackbox). The main reasons supporting this decision is that (as you write) x-plane is a living platform undergoing constant updates (unlike FSX) with an OPEN architecture, i.e. it facilitates the contribution of users and enthusiasts in terms of sceneries, aircrafts etc. Also the underlying concept of a 'blade element theory' (with its promises of a more realistic simulation) attracts me a lot.
Again, a big thank you and see you in the skies.

Giuseppe

Ricardo Rementería Troncoso said:
WOW, a lot of questions...
I've never used FS9 or FSX, this means I can't really compare those flight simulators with X-Plane 10.
Also, I've never really used any version of Windows for games, I've always used MacOS (since december 1984).

-- Maybe I can help a bit cause I know both platforms Win / Mac OS / xplane / FSX - about mac in my POV it is much to expensive for gaming and to closed to "tune" it what is necessary for FSX and XP if you want to fly with very high settings. A modern PC can be tunes easily to 4.2 GHZ and with more efforts to 4.9GHZ. You can use really high speed ram and fast video cards like the GTX600 series. --
Is x-plane 10 really as good as it looks like in their company website / video? I read also many comments of simmers complaining that this is still a beta version full of bugs...
Those videos and screenshots show what X-Plane is. No lies. Actually, I can do much more in my configuration than those videos and screenshots let see. There is a stable version at this moment (10.10), no problems there... and there is another version in developing (10.11), this last one is of course a beta. You see, X-Plane is always in developing (that's why I love it). I use version 10.10 for flying and version 10.11 for checking and testing the new features and fixes.

-- Absolutely true what Ricardo said - yes the ongoing developping is the good and the bad - cause a lot of developers are complaining that following a stable RC a new beta is following - and austin just keep going. If there is already a higher beta version of 10.10 RC then ok for austin but a nightmare for plane developers.--
Currently I use Squawkbox and FS Flight Keeper to connect to VATSIM and log my flights, but I am afraid this latter one at least does not work with x-plane... what should I use instead?
No idea, because I do not know exactly what are the features of FS Flight Keeper. Sometimes I use VATSIM (with XSquawkBox 1.06), sometimes IVAO (with X-IvAp 2.0.1), both work fine. But I prefer to fly "offline" using X-Plane's ATC (more possibilities), because I think the online networks doesn't add much more to the fly experience (mostly problems and limitations). For the registration of the flights at Air-Child we use XAcars (it has limitations but there is nothing better yet).

-- Again it is right what Ricardo says - but an app like flight keeper does not exist for xplane. Xsquwakbox is like the squwakbox for FSX and the xarcars is much more basic like flight keeper, it just let you connect to your airline and sent the acars info - not less not more - but it works perfectly. --
I read in your website that x-plane doesn't feature many small airports and that even the large ones are often little more than an airstrip, with no building at all... Do I understand this correct? I have difficulties to believe that considering that somewhere else I read that x-plane comes with a 60 gbytes load of sceneries... Can you please clarify?
It's simple. X-Plane, actually Laminar Research, gives you a flight simulator with the best flight simulation, with some aircrafts, sceneries of the whole Earth (and Mars) and some demo-airports, many other airports have only runways and taxiways (the users must build them further). I do not think this is something bad of X-Plane, I call it a feature. It gives me the possibility to make sceneries of airports and cities/towns. I use it to fly, but also to create.
It's also so that many medium and small airports are not usable in X-Plane because the program uses extern data for airports and navigation aids (coordinated by Robin Peel, with information from users). There are also other commercial sources for this information, like Navigraph and Aerosoft, but the information is always parcial (many fixes, airports, VOR's, etc. are unknown). I mean, this is not a problem of X-Plane, but a global one.
60 GB? Maybe, only the "Global Scenery"-folder in my configuration is 57.05 GB, and the "Custom Scenery"-folder (sceneries made by users) is 71.63 GB. In my active "Custom Scenery" I only put the sceneries and libraries I'm really using (right now = 1.36 GB)

-- there are hundreds of airports in the xplane forums round the world - the number is growing daily and the payware sceneries are growing as well. I myself have 3TB of sceneires including high resolution photo textures in europe, north america and japan - I do not know exactly how many airports which are working very well - hundreds for sure. And most of them for free. and you have quite good scenery manager apps (for win) do not know if the mac app is back. A manager is really important if you got a lot of sceneries - otherwise the sim becomes to heavy. --
Like you I love small propeller planes because they allow to enjoy the landscape and are closer to the planes I hope to fly for real soon (I'm applying to a course as private pilot). Is it x-plane better than FSX in this regard?
Sorry, I do not know. I can only say that for X-Plane there are some very good small propellers, like the Twin Otter (DHC6) from X-Hangar, the BE58 Baron and the Mooney M20J from Carenado.

-- I see it like this FSX and XP have 2 complete different approaches FSX is databased and XP is realtime calculation - for that a databased sim can be much more accurate - it depends on the database and a realtime sim can be very accurate it depends of the variables the sim is working with. So XP is absolutely unbeatable concerning the GA simulation but for the heavies you need more the XP variables can provide - till now - more and more xp becomes only to a base for high class plugin driven addons. so those addons can be more and more independend from the xp flight dynamics. But this goal is really difficult to reach - till now there is no model for XP which reaches the PMDG NGX or MD11. In dynamics maybe Peter Hagers A380 and A321 but in the complexity of simulation Peters aircrafts are not ready yet. --

-- So you have the choice if you like more GA flying with nice photosceneries which you can make by your own and a lot of free airports, freeware, conversions, some payware try xplane and the Carenado GA. If you want a complex plane like the NGX PMDG FSX or FS9 is the choice - of course PMDG is building the NGX for xplane - we will see what is coming up - but they will go crazy with austins everyday updates, that´s for sure.
Concerning the platform I would ever prefer pc with win7 with an modern IVY BRIDGE processor which starts at 3.5GHZ a MAC (even I use them in my prof. sound for film studio) is always old - cause thy always using the outdated intel processors, outdated main boards, outdated videocards in a cool looking case - it works fine but it can be better, especially for that money. And you get a lot more of apps and hardware which are needing windows to work --
Cheers Tom

Thank you as well, Tom. I will be using a PC with Windows 7, can you please let me know the name of the sceneries app managers? Also, do you store those terabytes of sceneries in your main PC drivers or in an external hard disk? Thanks for clarifying... ciao!

Giuseppe Alvaro said:
Thank you as well, Tom. I will be using a PC with Windows 7, can you please let me know the name of the sceneries app managers? Also, do you store those terabytes of sceneries in your main PC drivers or in an external hard disk? Thanks for clarifying... ciao!

This is the scenery manager

Make sure that you always have a backup of the config file cause sometimes, if you are doing something wrong, the app chrashes and your configuration is gone. This app is for win only and in french but not difficult. The best thing is you can put your sceneries wherever you want on your machine. This app makes aliases in the custom scenery folder. I have all my sceneries outside xplane on an external ESATA Raid.
Another app is the xaddon manager I used it for a long time under xp9. I do not know if it is working on xp10.
Cheers Tom

Using X-Plane 10.10 or higher you do not need any scenery manager.
Read more information about the new scenery_packs.ini

Another option is a stand alone application, the XAddonManager. It works fine with X-Plane 10.10 or higher. You can find it

I prefer to use the scenery_pack.ini.

Saludos

Ricardo Rementería Troncoso said:
Using X-Plane 10.10 or higher you do not need any scenery manager.
Read more information about the new scenery_packs.ini

Another option is a stand alone application, the XAddonManager. It works fine with X-Plane 10.10 or higher. You can find it

I prefer to use the scenery_pack.ini.

Saludos

Hi Ricardo,
the cool thing with the scenery manager I mentioned is that you can place your custom sceneries wherever you want on your computer or on external devices - they do not have to be inside the custom scenery folder inside xplane.
cheers Tom

Hi Ricardo,

I visited your website and became curious. Today I made my first flight ever in Chile (with the CRJ from SCIE to SCTC). Thank you for the airport sceneries - although weather was cloudy it became a very interesting and scenic flight.

Regards from Munich

Karl-Heinz

Back
Top Bottom