Diversion enroute to JFK

Users Local time
Today 6:36 AM
I have nothing to do, so I thought I'd come here and socialize with my airline mates a little.

I've been on a US tour for a week or two now. It's my first time flying "properly" in the States, meaning in VATSIM and with all the charts and proper procedures, so it was really confusing at first. Their approach is a little different. It seems that their procedures leave a little more responsibility to pilots and ATC.

Anyway, the really interesting thing happened when I was flying a scheduled flight from Vancouver to JFK in the NGX. I had had a slight technical issue with FSX to start with, and that messed up my Active Sky weather without me noticing. It apparently got stuck in Vancouver and brought the on-ground weather with me to the skies, so that at FL270 the TAT was showing 35 degrees celcius, and with a heavy 737 I couldn't climb any higher. On top of that, I had forgotten to put the packs back on after engine start, so some of my aircraft systems had begun to overheat. I couldn't figure out what to do about either of these problems, so I decided to divert to the conventionally nearest airport, which happened to be KMSO (can't even remember the name of the airport). Diversion and landing went without a hitch, and I parked my plane on a parking stand in some out-of-way corner of the airport.

My first diversion ever, interesting. Afterwards I was first a little disappointed that in my Flight Keeper pirep I sent, it didn't say "emergency landing", so if someone knows if that's possible to do somehow, feel free to enlighten me :)

What I was REALLY impressed of, was the way diversions have been implemented in our airline. First I looked at the timetables thinking that I might be able to start the flight over from CYVR. Then I looked at the forums to find a way I might possible be able to continue my flight. And the solution was simply to go to "my bookings" and select to continue the flight from the diversion airport! I was amazed, really immersive :) I had a fun day of flying. Flew the plane to JFK an hour behind the original schedule, and then continued on with another 737 to Miami and back. Thank you air-child, you're making my flying a little more meaningful.

Back
Top Bottom