X-Plane + Linux: ¿A crusade against Linux?

Users Local time
Today 9:06 AM
Yes, I am angry about the developers around X-Plane, their few competence and professionalism, mainly in the payware ones. :envy:

The payware ones are the worst because you pay for an item, usually less than satisfactory and you risk they let you without support because you are on Linux.

As you must know, there are many planes than do not have a linux version lately, and I think: Are we so few users with linux to be ignored so openly? Is so difficult compile for a distribution, say Ubuntu/Debian and another more, and do the things right? :?

Two "payware" cases that hurt me:

- X-Aviation and his MU-2 expensive payware aircraft without support for two years and waiting for a solution that made a nearly unflyable aircraft worth to load on the simulator. When the upgrade (1.5) came out from his live-tired developer, it came with no linux support (no version compiled on linux).

- Now, the latest, Javier Cortes and his UFMC has told me that he drop support for Linux in his 2.8 and he don't know if it will recover it.

I bought, I'm not a pirate. I try to help the community with money and support, but now I am tired to spend money on smoke, ... on nothing. :roll:

Sorry about my "sure" confused english, but I am angry to purchase and get less than satisfactory items as the Aerosoft ATR-72 (what a crap, is like a Cessna-172 with an outstanding livery and exterior), latest purchase by me.

For sure, this is not happening in FS world with professional developers as Carenado for example.

Bye and sorry for the cry :think:

As you must know, there are many planes than do not have a linux version lately, and I think: Are we so few users with linux to be ignored so openly?
There are fewer Linux users and I think most payware developers think about Linux users as a lot that's been too spoiled with legal free stuff.

Developers have to do without things like DirectX en all kind of Windows dll's if they want to develop for multi platform. This makes projects much more expensive. Especially with updates, when the money's already in the pocket and most developers are already gone, the temptation might be to forget Linux.

So I don't think it's a crusade or anything, just money doing it's thing.

I've actually never paid one eurocent for anything that runs on my Linux boxes, hearing your story I probably never will. Even stronger: I probably stop buying anything "game" related at some point because I don't like the Steam etc. trend. I'm old fashioned; I like games in big boxes with a booklet and bells and whistles. I know, a dinosaur. 8)

Just received the answer to my question from Javier Cortes, UFMC developer and told me that we, linux users, are less than 1% of his sales and that is not worth commercially the efforts. I think that it will the same with other developers.

Are we on extintion? :?

Bye

Are we on extintion?
No, just riding on the waves of economy. Simming on Linux is just "different". "Real" flightsims like those in universities and at JPL almost always run on Linux. 90% of all internet servers....Linux. Steam's coming to Linux, maybe paving the way for paid simming in the future. As long as a certain South African investor keeps spending, Linux will keep it's "commercial" side. And there's still Flightgear, based on NASA's work.

Maybe, X-plane came too soon to Linux. A problem behind it might be that it probably runs on Linux because the X-plane team wanted to conquer the hand-held market. But got sued in the process. That of course didn't help.

What I don't really understand; X-plane probably doesn't guarantee you can use all add-ons on Linux? Or do they? I mean, as long as it runs with default planes and you can try out freewares that don't use complicated gauges they don't break their promise. So X-plane on Linux would be OK, just the payware add-on devs suck then...

I'm also not a big Windows fan but why worry so much. Just install Windows on another partition or virtual machine and enjoy your add-ons. Just be a bit lazy, flying is fun. 8)

Back
Top Bottom