Checklists

Users Local time
Today 2:44 PM
Hey,

As there is very little chance to get airline checklists, I've created one for the MD-11 and the Fokker 70/100. Both are based on real-life checklists and my personal desires :)
Real Life ? Yes, indeed, produced from ITVV Martinair MD-11 and ITVV BMI Fokker video and other important items.

Here we go:
MD-11: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1090743/AirChil ... cklist.pdf
Fokker 70/100: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1090743/AirChil ... cklist.pdf

Comments and critique welcome :)

In my experience checklists are only in general based on airplane. Rest is how accurate panel/model is, how accurate you have hardware, what sowftware you are using...

For example, flying with FS Pax need special positions in checklist to have flight logged without errors, for example there are bad points for using thrust reversers below 60kts, but some planes are made to use reversers not only during landing but also during taxi operations.

Correct checklist is NEEDED with home cockpit, when You have to be sure, that all switches are set in correct positions after and before flight. And that checklist may also include hints for computer/software starting order. Like need to start Active sky and enter flight data before running FS, then need to start FS, then need to start widefs on secondary comp... then startup, payloads, fuel and rest of "normal" startup checklist that will be performed on cockpit via switches depending on model (soft)and cockpit (hardware) complexity.

Some checklists are available to download on avsim.et and flightsim.com some are available in smartcockpits (linked in useful links on forum here). And also i have few COMPLEX like pmdg normal procedures for 737 and 747 (including over 40 pages of FMC instruction manual), and have 2 or 3 quite universal checklists, that list most important things, like turning on strobes, landing lights and squawk mode C when entering runway during pre-takeoff checkride.

That universal chscklist can be downloaded on FS Passengers downloads for feww without need to rgister or something.

I have to fully agree with you Szymon, BUT: :)

Pls remember the idea behind a checklist:
A checklist is to remind the pilots of all the things to do in a brief way.

Please correct me, if I misunderstood your post, but what you are talking about is a work flow !
Turning the stobes on, landing lights on ... is a way too specific for a usual checklist. This is something the pilots have to do from their mind (depending on company proc. ...) "Lights ... ON" would be the common entry. Using the reversers has nothing to do with a checklist. This is aircraft operation and company procedures (shutting down one engine upon taxi in)...
Adding checklist-items for starting certain addon-software to the checklist doesn't make sense as this is a checklist for the operation of the airplane. This is a check-up/reminder for the pilots to check if they have fulfilled their task regarding normal ops ... .
For the addons I've prepared another sheet of paper containing all the acars, activesky, ... items + the oceanic clearance thingys ;)

One important point you have mentioned is FSPax and FS2Crew: Yes you are definitely right. These programs require certain input as the events of the addons are triggered on certain states of switches / interactions.
My MD-11 checklist for example is fully compatible with FS2Crew and furthermore it is held very general. For example it is up to you when to switch on strobes, landing lights ... the checklist only requires it "Before Takeoff" :)

Summing up: A Checklist only reminds you of the most important things for cunducting a safe flight. What you have to do in particular (what is called the flow) is something you have to learn by heart for your aircraft of choice ;)

Remember that pilots must read an confirm what they do according to checklist, in case of crash all that stuff will be recorded in Cockpit Voice Recorder.

For example in normal startup checklist for 737 are... Never mind, i'll just copy part of my PMDG checklists :D
Code:
<i>
</i>—Flight Planning / Dispatch—
FLIGHT PLAN.....................................OBTAINED/FILED
PASSENGER/CARGO....................................WEIGHTS SET
FUEL....................................CALCULATED AND ORDERED
WEATHER BRIEFING......................................OBTAINED
NOTAMS.......................................CHECKED AND NOTED
CHARTS...........................................READY FOR USE

—Aircraft Acceptance—
EXTERIOR INSPECTION..................................COMPLETED
FUEL.......................................LOADED AND VERIFIED
DOORS/STAIRS................................READY FOR BOARDING

—Cockpit Acceptance—
PARKING BRAKE..............................................SET
BATTERY.....................................................ON
ELECTRIC HYDRAULIC PUMPS...................................OFF
LANDING GEAR..............................................DOWN
START LEVERS.................................IDLE, THEN CUTOFF
OVERHEAD FUEL VALVE LIGHTS.........................ILLUMINATED
GROUND POWER................................................ON
FIRE WARNING SYSTEMS....................................TESTED
EMERGENCY EXITS..........................................ARMED
SIGNS..................................................BOTH ON
RECIRCULATION FAN.........................................AUTO
ENGINE BLEEDS..............................................OFF
PASSENGER BOARDING....................................COMMENCE

And its just a beginning of normal procedures checklist for 737 witch have 2 a4 sheets total. Actually while 1 page is from cold & dark to "ready to taxi". Second page is from taxi via takeoff and landing to taxing to gate, shutting down and securing aircraft. Go Around included.
Additional we have few more (20 pages or something, don't remember) checklists for abnormal procedures.

Diffrence from "real ops" is that this checklists are on a4 sheets and cumulated. Real checkists are on much smaller format and are categorised, so only "flight planning" on page, or "aircraft acceptance"

We have here "few" free checklists: and

So in my opinion checklist contain ALL stuff that pilot must do for safe aircraft operation, and if something is not needed its stated as "AS NEEDED".
We also have aircraft operation manual witch tells how to operate FMC and each system on board (that mean more what will happen if this is turned, or how open cargo doors from outside, etc etc. descriptions of each part and system in detail. That include some basic tables about aircraft performance, capacities, dimensions, weights and so on.
And third document (set) is that pilot need like fuel slips, insurances, etc and detailed airline specifications, like in this plane for CAT I you need to have visibility 200m better than stated on arrival charts.
Than my option to include for example computer starting order in checklist for home cockpit is quite correct idea (threated as visual inspection of aircraft performed by captain before entering plane) :)

But, thats mine opinion and You may disagree. This topic is to share checklists, more or less detailed, not for interpreting what is and what is not a checklist.
So look at red text line for links.

Once again, you are right. ;)

Summing up your last post:
- A checklist is an item to check if everything is done correctly. - As I have mentioned in the above post.
- Checklist may contain more pages / phases. I fully agree. - also mentioned above. But the provided ones here are the ones for the flight itself, as a sim pilot is usually not doing a walkaround (except he/she uses Active Camera ;) ) the other pages are general checklists for Addons... (for the sim pilot) and are kept on seperate sheets, so I can use them with all the aircraft.
- AOM: Sure, this is part of the flight bag, as it contains important tables and procedures !
- In your last post you are talking about a 737 checklist. This airplane needs other/more inputs than other aircraft types - for example the packs are operated manually .... The MD-11 has an automatic AC control .... The MD-11 checklist is one of the shortest I've ever seen.
Take the Fokker-checkklist as a comparison. A lot more item on it especially on startup and before takeoff in general ! ;)

So in general our opinions are in agreement, but I think we are sometimes talking about different aspects :rofl:
This topic is to share checklists, more or less detailed, not for interpreting what is and what is not a checklist.
Correct :p

Back
Top Bottom