X-Plane help

Users Local time
Today 4:36 PM
I purchased X-Plane 8 sometime ago and after a short period of time i gave up on it and put it away.I found it so difficult to get used to after using FS9 and FSX.
Having tried the X-Plane 9 demo i was tempted to buy it but instead re-installed X-Plane 8 to see if i could get into it first.
It seems that the scenery is much improved in the new version but is the LOWI scenery typical of the rest of the scenery ?
The one thing i cannot sort out is my joystick it was so easy with FS but X-Plane is a nightmare and i don't seem to be getting anywhere with it. ( Saitek X52 )

If someone could give me any advice i am open to conversion to X-Plane and the purchase of X-Plane 9

Steve

You can grab small tutorial "how to fly XP9" for FS9/X pilots on Xplane site.

XP9 demo - newest version? It may be possible that You played 9.0 demo, You need to get additional patch for demo witch will download additional 100-150mb of data and upgrade to 9.5+.

LOWI scenery is default demo superhigh res. I would say even that it too much detail there, like static airplanes on field, witch cause little problems when flying online. In full rest of world is more or less like high terrain and texture detail (some areas less, some more), cities have buildings (autogen) but airports are flat + lights. You still need to download XP9 sceneries with airports to have terminals etc. You may freely import without big problems most of FS9/FSX sceneries with simple tool.

For some hardware You need to get additional plugins, like Project Magenta will run quite nice on XP9, but need plugin to work correctly.

You need more power on CPU for XP9 than for FS9 full/max detail with addons, but still less than for FSX.

Joy will not work just after conecting, need axis to be assigned and some other calibration to fly correctly (linear/nonlinear, deadzone, sensitivity).

Hi Steve -
first of all I want to say if you like to fly with airlinrs more then with GA maybe in the moment FS9 is the better choice - I am on xplane and the flightmodels you are able to purchase from PMDG, FLIGHT1, DIGITAL AVIATION are better and more deteiled to simulate the original one as you will find for xplane. yes you will find nice airliners but not on the niveau like for FS9. But it is growing for xplane - it becomes better now but slow - in the moment everybody is creating new modesl and try to sell to the community as fast as possible - this are nice planes but they do not match the original performance - it is difficult in xplane the developers have to build and to program plugins to override the xplane calculation to get good and aligned performances - very difficult to achive without plugins. and most of the developers are 3D modelers and most of the people want "nice" planes - so they sell nice "toys" not simulation - this is how it is in the moment. you can get planes like hager airbusses payware, the B738 from benedikt straatman or our Fokker F100WS or our ATR72-500 for free - we worked a lot to align the models with the realworld - but they are still things to do.

concerning xplane - here you find how to start with xplane - with this it is easy to start:
http://wiki.x-plane.com/Quick_Start_Guide_for_New_Users

if you like small aircrafts to - you will not find anything better then xplane - which is approved for the FAA . try it and you will see - but do not give up it will be more difficult to land with xplane - somebody say compared to xplane FS9/X is flying on "tracks"

sceneries you will find a lot for free nearly no payware - people are converting every day and you will find airports and airfields all over the world for free!! and good freeware - some are overloaded with buildings planes etc. sometimes to have to make it lighter - with the OVERLAY EDITOR

another thing is the OPENGL implemantation. on my point of view this could be better even the fastes grafik card will not pushed to a limit before the framerate goes down. this means you will need a fast card even xplane cannot use it completely. we all hope for a better OPENGL in xplane 10. we will see.
but what you save with all the free sceneries you can put in your computer hardware :)

And for a little welcome to the xplane world - I will add you to the xplane secrets forum - you will see it....!

Enjoy Tom

Thanks for your most helpful previous replies ;)
I am now in the situation of being able to take off in the Cessna :D
I have altered my screen output to 1680-1050 which is what my desktop is set at but how can i now change the panels to reflect this size.The panels at present are only in the middle of the screen and not spread across the full width.Hope that makes sense :oops:

Steve

Steve Mitchell said:
Thanks for your most helpful previous replies ;)
I am now in the situation of being able to take off in the Cessna :D
I have altered my screen output to 1680-1050 which is what my desktop is set at but how can i now change the panels to reflect this size.The panels at present are only in the middle of the screen and not spread across the full width.Hope that makes sense :oops:

Steve

steve,
your sreen is set to 1680-1050? xplane is set to 1680-1050?
did you enable "fullscreen" on the rendering page?
Tom

Hi Tom
In the X-Plane 9 demo i can see the option you refer too, but in the full 8.60 version (which i have) i do not see the option of "run full screen"

Steve

Steve Mitchell said:
Hi Tom
In the X-Plane 9 demo i can see the option you refer too, but in the full 8.60 version (which i have) i do not see the option of "run full screen"

Steve

I am quite sure xp8 was not made for wide screens it was only 4:3 or 5:4 scaling. This is wh you do not get it on your widescreen. Why not buy version Xp9 it is quite cheap now - cause xp10 is coming up....
Cheers Tom

Back
Top Bottom