Christmas 2009 ACH VA Group Flight Event

Rebook the same plane once you have landed and reported the first flight, the the plane will become available for booking again.

Thanks to all,

I've booked 2 flights with different aircraft.
1st with 747 PAX.
2nd with 747 CGO.

So I'll be able to load more presents.

Pierre ;)

Re: XMAS Event on Friday

Oliver Pohl said:
Hope to see many "ACH's" at Copenhagen. I will be there at 2000 UTC.

Oliver, at this time probably we will be getting ready to take off from Oslo. We will be in Copenhagen around 17:30 UTC. :)

:hi:

I have an addition for the route from EKCH to ENGM, a shorter Route which is validated by the CFMU:
VEDAR UL997 SORPI

Erm, quick question.

As i am taxiing, and i have to cross another runway, am i to stop and request to cross, or do i just continue across, and the controller will tell me to stop if needed?

Andrew, without permisson you can't cross a RWY. If you don' have one, you have to wait until the controller gives you the permisson to cross. But in most cases the controller will give you the permission with the taxi clearence.

Hello Gents,

I'm in the blocks Gate B5 waiting for you. :p

Pierre ;)

Norbert Woeller said:
Thank you Nils. Have add the route to vroute!

...and have a good flight from Zürich to Copenhagen ;)
See you later!

Thanks, but there is a very heavy headwind (about 50 knots) so I am a little bit late. Current ETA is 1752z.

Good evening!

I was looking forward to doing those flights for a couple of days now.
Unfortunately a series of "incidents" kept me from flying
(waiting 1 hour for new AIRAC to be downloaded, reinstalling FS, FSUIPC,
F1 View, required sceneries, LevelD 767, Squawkbox, etc. due to system
crash and finally watching FS crash to desktop while waiting for t/o :rofl: )

Anyway, have fun ! :)

ACH VA Christmas event is now closed. All the pilots who have taken part - thank you!

We have been accompanied by many pilots from other airlines - thank you all! Pilots and ATC!!!

This way our ACH mission is growing.

As it usually happens during big events - a bit of a "mess up" with ATC (an pilots, as well :p ) is a standard. The controllers get much busier traffic than usual and the pilots have more difficulties trying to get across. But all in all we need to remember that we are there for ATC and ATC is there for us - and everybody is trying to give the best they can.

I hope you enjoyed the event - a lot of traffic from other airlines joined as well - makes the hearts grow fonder!

:thx:

Have a good night, Airchildren,

Totaly agree with you Rafal. I'm flying since 10 years on VATSIM. And here is one reason: It's a great community with great members, like the ENOS_CTR Controller.
After landing at EDDT, we have talked about the ENOS_CTR Controller. It was hard to understand him. We often said: "Please say again Sir". And I just have got a mail from him:

Hi!

During the Air Chird VA's groupflight to Oslo from Copenhagen, I supported on ENOS_CTR.

This is a formal apollogy to all the pilots of Air Child VA, and I hope that you can forward this mail through the correct channels.

First of all I want to say that it was a great flight, and alot of pilots showed up and it was fun as ATC.

However I may have gotten a bit frustrated and/or angry, because of a strange microphone. I am currently using a USB Microphone which I until today thought worked flawless. With Teamspeak and Skype it has worked before, but apperantly Euroscope does not like the mic.

In the belief that my mic worked flawless, I tought that some pilots asked me to repeat because they didnt pay attention on the freq. Because I had alot of traffic, I got angry and started yelling at some pilots. I do not know wether I did it to a Air Child VA pilot or not, but if I did I just want to give my apollogy for it, it was not on purpose and I now realize that the mic is the problem and not the pilot.

I apologize to anyone who was yelled at by me tonight, and hope that you understand why I did so. This is not something that should happen and therefore I chose to contact you directly before a Complaint is filled.

I am aware of the problem and will get it fixed ASAP.

Regards

Per-Kristian Jensen
Controller 1 VACCSCA
VATSIM

Thank you Per-Kristian. I'm shure we will visit Oslo again.

Wow, that is really impressing! Hats off to this controller. I must admit that I was one of the "victims" of his microphone because, after 3 attempts to "say again", all I had caught was the words ....... lima ..... ils .... runway :)
Maybe not a real problem for someone with lots of Vatsim experience, but I was in major trouble, being late on the ILS and finally, 5 nm from the runway, contacting tower just to be told it was text only. In the meantime GPWS shouted "too low, gear" and I landed without a clearance and way too high speed and overshot the runway :lol:
I really was annoyed because of this landing and then refused to fly the 2nd leg despite Rafal's motivational speech. But I don't blame the controllers, but instead said to myself (once again) that I need more practice in dealing with such situations. And I address my full respect to someone who apologizes after the flight via email. Not only that, he also joined our VA, as I just noticed. ;)

Per-Kristian, you are more than welcome! :clap:

Oh and, thanks a lot to all other controllers who helped support this first official Air-Child event.
:thx:

Hello Gents,

This second online flight(s) for me was a great experience.
I was very impressived by Pilots and Controllers calm during the event. (It was not my case).
EKCH departure was a little complex because that runway 30 and by the fact I used Aerosoft scenery which is wrong as you said in another thread.
ENGM arrival was catastroph-limit.
A late descent let me too high near the ILS path. ATC gave me some headings to lose altitude before approach.
It even seems he forgot me on an outbound heading. During this time, fuel was burnt.
I had to declare a fuel emergency and landed with 1800kg (very low for 747-400).
My passengers was safe.
ENGM departure was delayed a little bit.
The second leg was more "normal".
Arriving At EDDT was very intersting and I even parked at the "right" gate. :fly:

I would like as newbie say THANK YOU to Rafal first which was GREAT as usual and to all Pilots and Controllers for their kindness and indulgence. :clap: :clap: :clap: :goodjob: :goodjob:

I will never forget that event. :dizzy: :thx:

Cheers
Pierre ;)

Pierre,

always a pleasure to fly with you and other pilots. The sky really looked busy on my scope las night over the Baltic sea.

Very often during big events things go a bit out of hand both for ATC and pilots, because the tfc is overloaded. Andrenaline grows when you keep flying around the airport without clearence for ILS or you've been forgotten. But if we always get what we expect it becomes boring, doesn't it?.

And nothing makes you learn more and faster than difficult situations you must handle. And you did, Pierre :clap:

Next flight will be more relaxing, I promise 8)

Per-Kristian - thank's for joining - we are all heappy to have you with us!!! :hug:

Hello Per-Kristian,

Welcome aboard.
Hope you'll like Air-Chid as I. :yes:

Cheers
Pierre ;)

Hi!

I have to say that I am surprised by reading the response of my email on the forum here!

When I decided to write the E-Mail, I was sitting there thinking that I would get a lot of complaints filled on me for what I had done during the evening, and just had to admit my wrong doing and at the same time explain why it became the way it did.

I also see that you guys had some issues with Approach and Tower, as well as Ground and beeing a VACCSCA controller I feel that I should say a bit about this.

I was on CTR the whole evening, and then when APP logged on I thought for my self, "oh no this is going to be a mess" as I would have to explain the controller what was going on. And at the same time had pilots requesting me to say again, as well as some pilots (I dont think it was any of you guys) thinking they were the only aircraft on the Frequency, stepping over others several times.

To sum up all the issues, I think I'll make it as a list the way I saw it:

First of all, I had problems with my microphone and in the belief that my microphone was working correctly, I started arguing with some pilots telling them to pay attention to the frequency.

Then there were some pilots that used a long time to reply, some pilots stepping on eachother, some pilots replying one thing and doing another thing.

Then as well the Approach controller logged on, and I belive that this made the problem even greater.
I might be wrong, and I don't mean to blaim the controller at all, but I think that he may have logged on, unaware of the traffic load and also not verry experienced with high traffic load.

I did monitor this controllers frequency a bit and I do understand that it might have been hard to understand him. In his defence, the fact that he connected with several aircrafts in the TMA most likley resulted in him not having full control over where everyone where, what they had been cleard to and where they were going.
Also the fact that I received late handoffs from ESMM resulted in aircrafts coming high, aircrafts coming too fast and too close.

I will create a DeBrief thread on the VACCSCA forum to discuss these issues, purley to make other controllers aware of these things, and how to prevent it to happen again. I think that we all need to look at this event as a lesson, and see where we can improve. That goes for me as well, obviousley.

Anyway, that beeing said I am glad that you guys enjoyed flying to Norway and I hope to see you again, though with a better microphone.

And to everyone welcoming me, thank you!
I will certanley enjoy flying for Air Child Virtual, and hope to contribute with whatever I can!

Hi,

@ Rafal: Could you please, when possible, publish an event report with number of participants and all you think important.

Thanks and Cheers
Pierre ;)

Now here are my experiences with last night's event. I am just awake and recovering from a few too many beers last night. :dizzy: I had to have them, to calm down my excitement and discuss the whole experience with my wife. Fair play to her, she listened all the way through and even asked some intelligent questions that sent me off on another rant about how great it was. :love:

When we started off in EKCH everything went fine except when taxiing. I was behind Rafal and already was enjoying the fact that I didn't have to look up all the taxi way designators. :p After crossing rwy 30 I was happily crusing along, turning some knobs and switches in my cockpit when, I got lost!! :rofl: :oops: Imagine that! Just missed a turnoff and had to back up. Look at my pirep!

The rest of the flight went fine, except for the difficult communications with Oslo centre. I guess that's all part of our learning experience. I don't know what scenery I had for Oslo, but it all looked really strange with aircraft parked in buildings. Must update that scenery to a better version. Taxiing and taking off from Oslo went great and I started to relax a bit more. I really enjoyed flying behind Pierre. He was just a few 1000 feet above me :think: and I was directed on another course because of that.

Talking to the Swedish controller was also great, because he used text and voice at the same time. With a special 'ping' whenever he said something. Descending at the right time is something I have to learn. Rafal suggested before and I will slow down at an earlier stage, because when I was on final I was coming in way too fast and couldn't get the plane to slow down. Then I got a sink rate sink rate and almost crashed in front of the runway, but luckily was able to pull up and declare a missed approach. What an adrenaline rush that was! And yes, on my second approach, just a few feet of the runway, FS froze. After some curses :wtf: and ctrl,alt,del :eek:uch: FS miraculously started up again and I was able to land. At the end of the runway same thing happened again. I guess that some of my switches sent the wrong key combo's to SB that was having the focus as FS should have have it. I'll spend some time now to get everything working better, and install SB on a second pc.

All in all, it was the best experience I had with FS. (the online flying hat is, not the crashes :lol: ;) ) I am already looking forward to the next event. HUB inspection in Hong Kong, oh my god, how am I going to understand Chinese controllers... :S
I still have some questions about online flying but I'll post them in another post. Anyway thanks to everyone who made this event to such a great night. How much did we raise for Unicef anyway?

Jeroen

Back
Top Bottom