On-line tutorial flight - December 4th, 19.00 UTC LOWS-EPWA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: On-line tutorial flight - December 4th, 19.00 UTC

Ah no problem, I just assumed it would auto fill in the fields on squawkbox when you filed it online :) so thought I had messed up when it wasn't there :oops:

I closed fs some time ago, so not online any more :no:

Now, where is that md-11 tutorial flight I have printed out :think: :oops:

Anyway, Andrew, it is good to use sbox 'globally', because it gives more info to the network than the ACH VA website filing, ex. the exact aircraft type.

If you have all fileds filled in the sbox flight plan section, and file it from there, you can always make ammendments while online adn even during the flight, e.g. you can make corrections if advised so by controllers (e.g. about flight level), simply by resending the corrected version again.
If your voice goes down, etc., you can alway update this info.

Try downloading the Vroute
http://www.vroute.net/
and play with it. It allows you to plan routes, export flight plans (for several aircraft and SQBOX) with all the information needed. So you can start Sbox, load the flight plan from your HD and file ... ;)

Night night,
:hi:

Peter Schindler said:
If you pre-filed the plan then the controllers will have it anyway. No need to re-file it via SB. Or am I wrong?
Yes Peter, you are wrong. Prefiled fp's are shown only by Servinfo (http://www.avsim.com/hangar/utils/servinfo/) and well configured web pages. Regardless of what kind of software the controller uses the flight plan will not be displayed automatically. You have to add the plan manualy in to SB.
Another SB hint - sometimes it may happen that the other aircraft are not displayed, although they are online. In this case deselect auto multi player connection in squawkbox (options) and after you run SB connect SB session via FS multiplayer.

Tomasz Wydrzynski said:
Peter Schindler said:
If you pre-filed the plan then the controllers will have it anyway. No need to re-file it via SB. Or am I wrong?
Yes Peter, you are wrong. Prefiled fp's are shown only by Servinfo (http://www.avsim.com/hangar/utils/servinfo/) and well configured web pages. Regardless of what kind of software the controller uses the flight plan will not be displayed automatically. You have to add the plan manualy in to SB.

No, you don't have to add a pre-filed plan manualy into SB. You only have to connect your SB, and you are done.

Guys, with our "File Plan to VATSIM Button" it's very, very easy to go online! Let me explain how I get online:

After you have booked a flight, go to "my bookings", click on that flight, change some data (like Taxi Time, Cargo...), click "create flightplan", (maybe add some EXTRA Fuel) and then:

1) click on "File Plan to VATSIM / ID: xxxxxx", the VATSIM "Flight Plan Management" opens
2) Type in your VATSIM ID and VATSIM Password. (If you are useing Firefox, you can save your ID and Password, so you never have to add it in the future)
3) click on the "File Flight Plan" button. (Your Flightplan is now vissible as Pre-filed, for example in ServInfo)
4) Start SquawkBox, click on connect. If you are using SB for the first time, type in your VATSIM ID and VATSIM Password, (mark the "Remember Password" checkbox, so you never have to add it in the future. Same for "Home Airport", "First name" and "Last name". SB will remember that for the future).
5) Type in your Callsign (very importend: it must be the same as shown in the VATSIM "Flight Plan Management") and select the Aircraft you are flying for this flight. (If you are using SB for the first time, you have to add it in the "Aircraft List...")
6) Click "Connect" and you are done. (Your Flightplan is now vissible, for example in ServInfo AND for the Controller) No need to add the flightplan in SB.

You can see, you will be online in less then a minute :)

Rafal Bardel said:
Andrew,

that's more like it :cheers:
Andrew Williams said:
What server am I suppose to connect to?
- any you have subscibed for (20GBP per hour). :rofl: :mrgreen:
Serious: any. If you are in Europe choose any European. Oceania is OK, too.

Be carefull with the Oceania server. Sometimes it is very slow. If you are using ServInfo, click on the "Network Servers" Tab. Here you can check the different servers.

Norbert Woeller said:
No, you don't have to add a pre-filed plan manualy into SB. You only have to connect your SB, and you are done.
Mea culpa Norbert, indeed you are right. After so many years I didn't know that. I always thought that I had to do it manually. Sorry for disinformation.

Gentlemens, in the link below please find everything you need, to make your first online flight stressless ;)

Tomasz Wydrzynski said:
Mea culpa Norbert, indeed you are right. After so many years I didn't know that. I always thought that I had to do it manually. Sorry for disinformation.

No Mea Culpa. I know that very well, Tomasz. I'm using the Flight Simulator since 1994. Flying online since 1999. But I'm allways learning more and more. And that's what a great community like the Air-Child one, can give you: Helping each other!
We are all not real Pilots nor real Controllers (exept some Controllers at EPWA ;) ) so we can learn every day a little bit more. That's why I like this hobby!

All of the above do not change the fact that SB is a useful tool once you need to alter any info in your flight plan during the flight. Howgh. :lol: :p

Norbert Woeller said:
Flying online since 1999
Oh yes - FS98 and Pro Controller, payware was banned, all addons freeware including fsuipc, Euro was introduced, a Pentium III was born, last total solar eclipse of the twentieth century..... :)
Our begin with old good SATCO, later renamed to VATSIM....are we sooooo old Norbert ? :'( :lol:

Tomasz Wydrzynski said:
Norbert Woeller said:
Flying online since 1999
Oh yes - FS98 and Pro Controller, payware was banned, all addons freeware including fsuipc, Euro was introduced, a Pentium III was born, last total solar eclipse of the twentieth century..... :)
Our begin with old good SATCO, later renamed to VATSIM....

...and two voice tools: Battlecom and ...the other voice tool (can't remember the name). At landing, very often the Approach Controller uses Battlecom and the Tower Controller the other voice tool. So you not only have to change the frequency to switch to Tower - you have to start a different voice tool first. What a stress :dizzy:
Tomasz Wydrzynski said:
are we sooooo old Norbert ? :'( :lol:

I don't know how old are you. I'm 51! But I will be 100. So I'm in the middle of my life :lol:

Roger Wilco - still do not know why Roger will always comply, and who was Roger ? :rofl:
Uff..I'm 40 and also don't need "Geriavit" yet ;)

Rafal Bardel said:
Dear Pilots,

let me notify you briefly that the final tutorial flight date and time is Friday December 4th, 19.00 UTC.
See you all in Graz!

:fly: :fly: :fly:

Ähhhh, dosen't we start from Salzburg, LOWS?

ok after long thinking and tinkering with all the required software I m going to join this event as well and try my first online flight.

See you then at 1900 UTC. By the way, I dont suppose the SID used in the tutorial is going to be real SID? That does depend on where the wind is comming from tomorrow isn't it?

Jeroen

Hello Jeroen,

that's the only right decision you can take :clap:

You are right. It all depends on the winds and therefore runway used for take-off. If we take off from rwy 16, we will fly the LIMRA 5V SID. If rwy 34 is used for departures, the correct SID will be LIMRA 5S.

I have not found any information about LOWS runway preferential system, but becaouse the mountains around I would expect departures from rwy 16 only if the wind is stronger than 5 knots and the direction is between 070 and 250, in all other cases rwy 34. Controllers, correct me if I'm wrong. :p

You can check the LOWS ATIS before logging in (using servinfo or dolomynum).

Good to have another companion 8)

Norbert Woeller said:
Rafal Bardel said:
Dear Pilots,

let me notify you briefly that the final tutorial flight date and time is Friday December 4th, 19.00 UTC.
See you all in Graz!

:fly: :fly: :fly:

Ähhhh, dosen't we start from Salzburg, LOWS?

UUPS - my lapse - of course LOWSS - Salzburg. No Graz, no Graz, no Graz. Silly me, stupid, thoughtless Rafal. :envy: shame on you. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Random question.

RC4 usually starts you descending before the fmc is due to start.

What happens online. Do the controllers tell you when to descend? Do you let the fmc descend if the controller doesnt say anything, or do you stay at the cruise flight level until the controller tells you? :?:

Andrew Williams said:
or do you stay at the cruise flight level until the controller tells you? :?:
That's what I did on my first flight. At some time the controller must have felt sorry and descended me on what felt like a 70 degree descent path :lol:

Normally you should request to start your descent:
"ACHxxxx request descent"

It's also in the online guide, section "descent" - you guessed it :)

Andrew,

There are two things which may happen:

1) You have planned your descent and call CTR "XXXXX requesting descent" soon before you belive you should start descending. The you will get a lower flight level or altitude from them.

2) The controller grabs you first and will give you the instruction to descend.

Once you get your first instruction to descent from ATC, you will get next ones as you proceed, so don't ask first thereafter.

Please note that FMC/FMS calculates the entire route length for descent, together with STARS. Most often, if ATC is there on APPROACH, you will enter a STAR and the ATC will give you vectors, and your route may become shorter - this means you may end up ... too high. So it's tricky.

I generally use the FIX function on FMC/FMS, where I put a fix closest to the destination airport or the destination airport as such (e.g. EPWA). This gives me the distance. And I call ATC for descent (unless ATC call me first) relying on the distance from this fix, not the full flight route in the FMC/FMS.

Have another look at the guide - there is a section on calulating the top of descend. Basically, if you cruise at FL360, multiply 36 x 3 - you will get 108 - this means you should start descending 108 miles from destination, rate between 2000-3000 ft per minute. But winds can play tricks with your aircraft, so I allow a 10 mile margin. (I'd start descending at 118-120 miles from destination). And it is always easier to decrease your rate of descent if you are too low, than to increase if you are too high.

Good luck tomorrow at LOWS :hi:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom